It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Paint, Reviving Original
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

twocorvettes

Posted: 01 Jun 2004 10:41 am Post subject: Paint, Reviving Original

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On CEs that still have original paint and decals, on some I have noticed a fine "crazing" effect in the paint - even on cars that were meticoulously cared for and garaged.

Is there a way to restore this without repainting?

Is this the clear coat, or the paint?

I think decals are the determining factor on whether to repaint, and if they are good, look for an alternative to ripping them off!.

Desertdawg

Posted: 01 Jun 2004 07:24 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may be out of luck.
One of the guys here in Phoenix has a red 80 with just that same problem, he has talked to 3 different detailer's, and a couple of painters. No one has been able to give him any answers or suggestions.

I watched one detailer run his buffer on the hood with 3 different compounds, and none of them helped.

JohnnyB

Posted: 01 Jun 2004 10:02 pm Post subject:

From what I know about the paint, the crazing is in the clear coat. It seems to be most prevalent on the soft nose and tail of the car. This is probably due to the flexing of these surface areas. The paint has a flex agent in it, but after a while the clearcoat starts to deteriorate. No know cure, other than a repaint. I will live with the crazing. Remember the 20 foot rule... it looks great from 20 feets away!! Enjoy!

JohnnyB