It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Check engine light!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:39 pm 

hi! I got my vette about 4 years ago..it has the original engine with all the original parts on and since the day i got it i had never had any king of problem until last week when, after i was driving the car for about 50 miles, and it was running just fine, i got a check engine light and it running rough!!! i started burning to much fuel and i barely got home.I tried to turn off the engine and back on and i realized that if it's at idle power it runs well ,even if the check engine light is still on, when i give gas it starts running rough and loading up with fuel!!! What it colud be???????
Thanks in advance....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:52 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Hi and Welcome to the 82 CE Registry..

Rough Idle could be a million items, but try a few basics first:

Whats the code you are getting from the CEL? (To pull codes without a reader check this link: http://www.neilkline.com/Tech%20Tips/obdcodes.htm

Check the sparkplugs, mine foul once in a while (i only drivein the city, never going Op Temp) and when they foul up the car starts shaking like a bronco.

Could be the Temp Sensor in the front (CTS), or simply a spark wire fell off. (Dont laugh, happened to me, i got a code 42 and after going through the distributo, i found a wire hanging loose on a spark plug. :roll: Plug it back in, car happy)

Let us know the code, then we can take it further.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:34 am 

Thank you for the suggestion!!!! I'll check it and i'll let you know....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:57 pm 

i did everything you told me!!!!
I changed all the sparking plugs and i checked the wires but the problem persisted!!!! I didn't have the reader for the obd but i got the codes plugging together the pins....i came up with three codes: 14,22,34 but i don't have the shop manual so i don't know what they mean.....could you help me with that????
Thanks!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:36 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Sorry if this is frustrating. I know it can be, but try and work through the issue(s) before taking a hammer. 8)

Okay DTC or CEL Error Codes:

I am guessing you are getting the normal Code 12 (Just indicates the Dist is pulsing normally) prior to getting the codes above? If no, your ECM is having a big issue!!

Code:
14 - (Fig 6E-39) Coolant Sensor Circuit (Low), ie. either the circuit is shorted or the sensor is giving bad data/no data to the ECM

22 - (Fig 6E-48) Throttle Position Sensor Circuit Low: The voltage signal from the TPS is low

34 - (Fig 6E-51) MAP Sensor Circuit

It sounds as though your Computer / ECM isnt getting good data.

With all of those CEL codes, this might point to the ECM. Open your battery compartment and make sure your ECM Connector is plugged in and without corrosion. Somehow i doubt it's all of those Sensors banging out at the same time. Methinks it might be your ECM either going bad (Not good!) or just the connector loose or corroded. The ECM is towards the front of the car inside the battery compartment. To 100% troubleshoot the ECM, you will need a Shop Manual, doing help across the pond can be done, but with big delays.. Sorry!!

Link for the GM SM i use (I dont like the other, white cover one, but thats personal preference): http://www.amazon.com/corvette-manual-CHEVROLET-MOTOR-DIVISION/dp/B000KE5B9Q/ref=sr_1_3/192-1402892-9380424?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272105312&sr=1-3

I hope this helps.

If you find yourself getting frustrated, it helps me personally to stop what i am doing and take a break. :wink:

Let me know how you're getting on with it.