It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

bigdaddy

Posted: 16 May 2004 12:03 am Post subject: Lights have life of their own!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On my CE, when brake pedal is applied, brake, parking, side marker, dash & gauge lights ALL come on! If the parking lights or headlights are turned on, the turn signals will not flash! Obviously, there are grounded wires somewhere but can anyone relate to this and suggest where to start searching?

Thanks,
Robert

82collectorshark
Forum Member

Posted: 07 Jun 2004 08:59 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Bigdaddy,
Just have a few quick thoughts,maybe someone more knowledgable can be more specific. My first impression was that you have a bad ground connection somewhere. I don"t know where they are as I haven"t had a problem there yet.(newbie Vette Owner).Maybe you could check a wiring diagram to help. Another,offbeat thing I found a couple of times on other cars was a bad brake/tailight bulb. What had happened was the brake light filament had worn and broken and fell across the tail light filament.When the brake was applied,the brake filament backfed the tail light circuit which of course is all the parking lights and dash lights, ETC. Just pop the bulbs out and install a couple of new ones to troubleshoot. Let me know how you make out.
Jules

bigdaddy

Posted: 08 Jun 2004 09:34 pm Post subject: lights

Thanks again Jules. I, too, an a newbie Vette owner. I swapped a '75 one owner Caprice drop-top for it! I've got 2 other brand cars in my collection & are pretty easy to work on, but the Vette falls into a whole different category!
Bigdaddy

S Ridner
Veteran Forum Member

Posted: 08 Jun 2004 10:29 pm Post subject:

All ground wires are bolted to the body behind the dash on the left side. Approx at the headlight switch area. All the ground wires are black. I would check that brake light switch for a power to ground short. All grounds inside the car go to the same place behind the dash. The orange wire is the power for the stop light switch and the white is the other side of the switch to the lights. Could also be the turn signal hazard switch which is on the steering column.

steveburges
Veteran Forum Member

Posted: 17 Jun 2004 01:32 pm Post subject:

I had some bad sockets on my brake lights that had a rusty
ground on the side of the socket. You could push the side
terminal in by reaching up under the car while you someone put
on the brakes and everything would work fine, but as soon as
you stopped pushing on the side of the socket, the brake lights
would do weird things again. I suggest finding some nicer brake
light sockets from a salvage yard and soldering them on.
You can also buy them new for 15-20bucks per socket.
I bought a set of 4 nice used ones for 20bucks.

Steve