It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:54 pm 
Forum Member
Forum Member

Parked my CE after a short trip. Was starting and running fine, was just giving it a few laps after installing new shocks. When I went to restart, the engine will turn but will not start. No fuel is coming from the injectors. The fuel tank is full. No noise coming from the fuel pump when the key is turned, nor can I hear any click from the fuel pump relay located between the washer pump and master cylinder on the firewall. I replaced the relay with no change. Checked the fuses under the dash including the crank fuse with none blown. Notice the check engine light is not lighting up when the key is turned, however can't remember whether this lit up before.
Before I change the fuel pump, any other suggestions on what I should check? I am not a very knowlegeable electrical troubleshooter, however would appreciate any suggestions. Since the relay does not click, I have my doubts on the fuel pump being bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:00 am 

Recently had the exact same thing happen to my CE. Fuel pump wasn't getting power, all fuses and relays were ok. The car was at a body shop getting a complete repaint when it happened. They pushed it around for a couple weeks until they got tired of that so they found the problem. It was a bad connection in a wiring connector, but I don't know exactly where.

I need to call them in the next day or two anyway to see how the car is coming, and when I do I'll ask them exactly what and where the problem was and post back here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:24 pm 

Ok, I just talked to the guy that fixed it. The problem was a bad connection in the fuse block in the battery compartment. He said there's a 20 amp fuse in that fuse block that powers either the computer or the fuel pump.

So check the connections to the fuse block inside the battery compartment. Also, check connections to any other fuses and relays in the circuit. If you have a wiring diagram, you may be able to pinpoint the problem with a test light. With the key on, test for power at connections and junctions as you go "downstream" toward the fuel pump. Sometimes it's not easy if you're not familiar with electrical work.

Hope this helps. Let us know what happens. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:17 pm 
Forum Member
Forum Member

Blackbird, you couldn't have been more correct! Strangely enough, I had checked the 20amp fuse in the battery compartment and even put a meter on it to check continuity, however never wiggled the fuse and wiring around while the switch was turned on to see if the pump would kick on. Turns out that the fuse that checked good was corroded enough along with the fuse socket to keep the pump from coming on.
Cleaned the socket and installed a new fuse and BINGO, I'm back on the road!
I was about to give up hope when I posted my original message and received your reply. Thank you for your help in pointing me back in the right direction. You saved me the aggrivation of replacing a perfectly good fuel pump just to find out that it was that stupid fuse connection all along. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:17 am 

You're most welcome! I'm glad I was able to help. :D

It sure is nice when seemingly complex problems turn out to be something simple. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:13 pm 

Wow!

I have been working all day trying to figure the same problem out. I came in from the garage extremely frustrated and went to this forum and saw this posting.

I actualy ran outside pulled the fuse which was okay, wiggled the wire and it started right up.

Thanks you saved me from a nervous breakdown (ha ha).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:30 pm 

Glad to hear that yet another member benefitted from my problem! It sounds like this might be a pretty common problem with '82 Corvettes.

Thanks for your post Pepe... Great information for anyone who wants to try to prevent this problem before it occurs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:45 pm 

Remember, the CE's were built before they started using weather-tite connectors. Even out here in the middle of the single digit humidity desert we see these problems.
What I ran into was an intermittent no-crank problem. The culprit, the main harness plug that is about mid way down the passenger side of the motor, right by the rear of the cylinder head. It has the main (red) wire that is undersized, connected inside this plug.
Just add a tiny bit if moisture and the presence of an electrical current. and poof!!!!!