It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 82 cruise control
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:55 pm 

It looks like I need to replace my cruise control/transducer. My speedometer needle was bouncing, then stopped working. When I removed the lower speedometer cable from the transducer, the tip of the cable was broken off and the cable was frayed. When I turn the output of the transducer, it does not turn easily, it binds and catches . All the transducers that are offerd are rebuilt. My question: Is there a "BETTER" company to order from, or do all transducers come from the same place? Also, how would I find the correct length of the lower speedometer cable for the 82 Collector? Mid America lists it as a 53" and Corvette Central list it as 49". The other companies do not give a measurement.
Thanks, mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:40 pm 

When I replaced both of the speedometers I purchased from Corvette America.

My lower cable is 53". Works fine. Every month I keep both cables luberated so no problems occur. *Cross Fingers* :P

NCM Lifetime Member #1353
Iron82

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:35 pm 

Here's what I do.

All I do is disconnect each cable (tachometer and speedometer). Then on each cable ends/nut lube with White Lithium Grease. With my fingers of grease, insert the grease on each of the cable shafts. You don't need a lot of grease. Just enough to fill the ends.

So far no problems.

Hope this helps. :)

Besides I did post this in the C3VR thread you made too. :wink:

Iron82

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:47 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Slight hijack here but what would make the car surge when on cruise. It works ok, sets the speed, shuts off by the brake or switch, resumes, coasts & accelerates but the speed cycles up & down over a 5 to 7 MPH range. Is there any adjustment for this.
Oh, and the speedo reads accurately & the needle doesn't bounce so I figure the cables are Ok, but it's on my list to lube them up anyway. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:58 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

1MORTOY wrote:
Slight hijack here but what would make the car surge when on cruise. It works ok, sets the speed, shuts off by the brake or switch, resumes, coasts & accelerates but the speed cycles up & down over a 5 to 7 MPH range. Is there any adjustment for this.
Oh, and the speedo reads accurately & the needle doesn't bounce so I figure the cables are Ok, but it's on my list to lube them up anyway. :?:

I'll be interested to know too. Mine does that too (Well, last time i used the cruise).. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:06 pm 

I know my speed cycles up & down from 1 to 5 MPH range. I do believe this is normal for ours.

Iron82

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:42 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Actually, no it's not normal.
I have 2 82's & the CE locks in on the speed like a pit bull but the other wanders up & down on either side of the set speed?
The variance is so noticable & annoying that I can't use the cruise.

Post subject: Re: 82 cruise control
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:03 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

82mike wrote:
It looks like I need to replace my cruise control/transducer. My speedometer needle was bouncing, then stopped working. When I removed the lower speedometer cable from the transducer, the tip of the cable was broken off and the cable was frayed. When I turn the output of the transducer, it does not turn easily, it binds and catches . All the transducers that are offerd are rebuilt. My question: Is there a "BETTER" company to order from, or do all transducers come from the same place? Also, how would I find the correct length of the lower speedometer cable for the 82 Collector? Mid America lists it as a 53" and Corvette Central list it as 49". The other companies do not give a measurement.
Thanks, mike
\

Mike,
I just had the same problem on my CE. I ordered the transducer from Riks Corvette in NC, it cost $150.00 plus 50.00 core charge. By the way if yours is like mine with the resume valve for cruise control he has that one too.
It was supposed to be $100.00 core charge but the website said $50.00 so he gave it to me for the $50.00 core charge.
You can also order the upper cable and the lower cable from Riks as well, cost was $17.95 for each one. I have already installed mine and it was not that bad a job about 1 hour. And It works great!!

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:29 pm 

Thanks for the input. I'll be ordering my parts today. I'll be sure to check out Riks. Thanks again, mike

Post subject: Speedo needle
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:01 am 
Forum Member
Forum Member

This sounds like the issue I'm having. When I am coming to a stop my speedometer needle bounces at the lower end just as the car comes to a complete stop. During cruise control operation she will surge 1 to 2 mph only going high not dipping below the set speed. Would greasing the cables eliminate the bounce in this situation? :?:

Post subject: Re: Speedo needle
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:20 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

fester wrote:
This sounds like the issue I'm having. When I am coming to a stop my speedometer needle bounces at the lower end just as the car comes to a complete stop. During cruise control operation she will surge 1 to 2 mph only going high not dipping below the set speed. Would greasing the cables eliminate the bounce in this situation? :?:

Maybe but you can check it out by removing the cable from the traminsion end. See if the cable is frayed. I found that on mine . the cause was varabile speed transducer. I replaced both the cable and transducer and it work great.....