It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Speedometer needle
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:14 pm 
Forum Member
Forum Member

:? Everytime I pull out from a dead stop the speedometer needle bounces until I get to about 15 mph. This also happens when I come to a stop. Would this mean that I have to replace the speedo cable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:24 pm 

Try disconnecting it from the head and lubricating it first, it's probably just binding in the housing a little. It will get worse if you don't grease it now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:25 am 

And after thinking about this a little more, there are 2 cables. one from the dash to the cruise module, the second from the cruise to the tranny.

Remove both ends of each cable and squirt some lube into the top until it runs out the bottom end of the cable.

Post subject: speedo cable
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:18 pm 
Forum Member
Forum Member

Will give that a try ASAP. :)
One other question I have. I keep reading on various posts in this forum and others, about paint color for different parts of the car. I would like to paint my rocker panels but not sure what to go with. Would there be a place that would have the factory info on the different paint for the various pieces of the car both inside and out? :?

Post subject: warrior2291
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:22 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

I had the same problem back a few weeks ago. I replaced the cable and the transducer. But I also noticed after I did this that mine does excatly what you have described.

I repalced the gear in the tranny and replaced both cables. One is for the Tach and the other is for the speed odemeter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:33 pm 
Forum Member
Forum Member

:( I could not get to the cable end at the tranny to lube it. I did however get both at the cruise control. Unfortunetly that did not help as the needle still bounces. Can the speedo gear at the tranny be easily replaced? :? If so is there an easy way to tell which gear I need so I can have a new before I take the old one out? I noticed different gears for the 82 CE. The other two cables look rather straight forward to replace.