It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Problems on motor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:26 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Hello to all. I hope everyone has a great holiday and the weather will stay warm so we can all go for a ride.

Well lets see I have a problem and I will do my best to explain it . I hope someone can help me . I have installed 2 new motors and 2 new driver side window regulators in my C/E. they have both failed. SO i gave up and said I need help . I ordered a new regualtor from Riks, and I got a new moter as well. When i took it to the chevy dealer they toldl me after 2 days of trying to figure it out that the new regulator gear and motor will not engage the teeth on the regulator,
Basically what is happening to me is the gear on the motor is stripping out the regulator teeth. It engages enough but after a couple of weeks of use it eats the teeth up on the regulator. So they do not want to intall the new regulator I bought because they said it would do it again.

So I called Riks and explained to him what I have said here already. He told me that in 1979-82 Chevrolet made a bracket that was attached to the motor that would prevent this problem.

He recommended that I contact Advance Auto parts or Pep Boys and see if they have a motor with this bracket attached. I did all that and they do not have one. With that said I called Riks and told him, they do not even make this bracket and they do not have a part number for it because it came with the originial motor.

The only place I can show a picture of it is in Riks parts catalog. The Helmes manuel does not show it at all.

To recap I have a new motor which is the original AC Delco, I have a new regulator, and gear and bushing and regulator gear pressure plate. Can any one tell me or show me a complete illustrated parts brake down of this left hand side ?? I dont know what to do?

Edited Subject by Iron 82

Post subject: 82collector
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:44 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Well tonight I reinstalled a new regulator , pressure plat , new motor and I still have the same problem...........................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:07 pm 

Sorry to hear about your problem. When I first read the post I wondered if there was too much pressure on the glass or window regulator causing the gears to strip. I've never heard of this bracket problem. There is a couple of things I can do to help. I have my passenger door off and can try and look or get a picture of the bracket, and I also have an assembly manual that might show it. If the assembly manual has it would you like me to scan it and email it to you. Would that help? I don't know how hard it would be to fabricate a bracket until I look.
- Chris

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:02 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Hi ,
thank you very much i appreciate the help. But I think after looking at it last night I have come to the conclusion what the problem might be. First I do have the bracket. When I finially figured out what this gent was telling me it was obvious that I already had it. This item is attched to the regulator . So that was not the problem.

What I have since learned is that the design of the originial regulator was just a bit different. I have found a place that sells originial regulator's with the originial motor all attached for about the same price you would pay for a after market regulator.

I believe that will fix my problem I hope.

I had the person send me some e-mails with what it looked like and I think we may have this problem licked. I will let you know once I get the new originial regulator and motor. But I just thought I would pass this one to all those out there. I have bout 2 new after market regulators and they both have failed because of the gear on the motor not fully inter locking with the gear on the regulator. So be careful before you buy one you might end up with the same proble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:30 pm 

Good deal! I will be interested how it works out. As I said before I don't think my drivers door motor is correct but it has not failed (yet). That said I have never been able to adjust the glass correctly and thought it might be a worn out regulator. If your source has a good motor/regulator combo for the drivers side I might be interested. I also looked in my assembly manual and it doesn't have a very detailed drawing of the motor and regulator assembly.
Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:39 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Well hello and Merry Christmas to all.

Well this past weekend I insatlled the originial regulator and motor that I got from Corvette Complete out of Ohio. He sent me the motor which was originial and the originial regulator all attached ready to install. It works perfect.

One thing I did was I looked at the new after market regulator . and compared the originial. I found that the aftermarket regulatoirs where the motor connects is not at specs.

Also found out that the teeth on the gear on the regulator are not the same distance as the originial. So I would be careful about buying the after markets they are not that good. I bought 2 of them 1 from Corvette Central and one from Riks, they both have the same problem.

Who ever is building them, they are not aligining the gear on the regulator far enough so when the motor is conected the teeth from the motor will fully engage the teeth on the regulator. This is a fairly simple task replacing these regulators and its pretty simple, but when you run into a problem like this it can be frustrating..

I got my original from a 13000 mile 1982 corvette that he is parting out. Corvette Complete he is out of Ohio and has 30 years working on the older vettes. Phone number (216) 475-3408,
He sold me the motor and regulator for what Corvette Central and Riks want for a regulator only. he is also on eBay too. I was tlaking to him and he has a guy that has all whole brand new interior for a corvette collector seats carpet bezels, etc. I told him if it was all originial which he says it is then I would make a deal with him. He has the dash, the bezels, the door panels, all brand new and originial.