It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Idle stuck @ 3,000 rpm!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

bigdaddy

Posted: 11 May 2004 06:02 pm Post subject: Idle stuck at 3,000 rpm!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bought car @ 6 mos. ago and either wanted to idle fast (1500 rpm) or shut down completely. Is kept in carport under cover and dry. Went to move and as soon as it started, idle went to 3,000, cold! Couldn't find any leaking hoses and throttle linkage moves as it should with no detectable binds in its movement. Any help?

Robert

JohnnyB

Posted: 11 May 2004 11:11 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My first CE had a bad throttle body gasket. It allowed air to be sucked into the intake; which told the computer to add more gas. Therefore, as if I had set the cruise control, the car would run down the road at 45 miles per hour, without touching the gas pedal. Replaced the gaskets, and all was normal. This is a suggestion, and may not be your fast idle issue.
Good Luck,
JohnnyB

bigdaddy

Posted: 15 May 2004 11:54 pm Post subject: Idle stuck @ 3,000 rpm!

Thanks, JohnnyB. After closer examination, I found a 5" section of the intake manifold plate cover gasket torn loose @ was allowing air leak. I ordered a complete upper engine gasket kit @ am replacing all necessary CFI gaskets.

Thanks again,
Robert