It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Stripping Wheels
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:17 am 
Forum Member
Forum Member

I'm in the process of stripping the paint from the wheels with paint stripper. Wow, is it difficult to get between the vanes of the wheel. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm using spastrip paint remover. Is there a more effective product?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:53 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Mike,
i've heard of someone that actually sand blasted their wheels. Then painted the entire wheel with black after taping the vanes' tops. Hopefully, your results will reward you for all the work.. What color are you going with (if any) ?

:wave
-Stefan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:02 pm 
Forum Member
Forum Member

Well, I'm having difficulting deciding. The center of the wheels under the caps looks original brown. However, the paint between the vanes looks black. Not sure what to do.

Anyone know what is original? I assumed brown until I looked closer.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:21 pm 

makamer wrote:
Well, I'm having difficulting deciding. The center of the wheels under the caps looks original brown. However, the paint between the vanes looks black. Not sure what to do.

Anyone know what is original? I assumed brown until I looked closer.

Mike

Mike,

Correct. Brown is the original color in both between the vanes and where the bolts go/caps cover up.

NCM Lifetime Member #1353
Iron82

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:45 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Mine are brown.But I posted about having them stripped and chrome plated then having the brown applied.Also if you look real close the brown has a matallic in the paint.So do the stripes on the body.My car is low miles and been an inside car all it's life and you can tell looking at my car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:25 am 
Forum Member
Forum Member

OK, I finally had a sunny day to take a good look at my wheels. Keep in mind these are definitely original. The color between the fins is a dark brown metallic. Almost black.

The brown under the center cap is a much lighter color. Definitely not black.

What is the deal with the color? What color do I paint them? I want them original.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:17 pm 

Here's a picture of what I think an original wheel should look like... The paint matched from the rim to the center cap..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:58 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

That's correct. My wheels were taken off the car by the original owner 2 weeks after he bought the car. The colour is just like the pix you posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:13 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Mike,
sorry no help from me, mine are definitly black on the wheels.. The cap looks bronzish as we'd talked about, but the wheel is black. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:15 am 
Forum Member
Forum Member

Do you suppose that some were painted different colors? I know that sounds crazy but I just can't figure it out. Is there an NCRS judge out there that could help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:59 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Well, i dont want to confuse you more, but there have been some crazy things that i heard of going on in BG. I dont think 2 wheel colors is one of them. My take is that my wheels were refinished at some point before my purchase and the person who did it, didnt know the bronze/brown code (or that it's brown) and went with black. I dont believe BG would send out silver-beige (inside and out!) cars with black color between the vanes. The only way to know is to talk to the NCRS crowd as to what they think is correct. Keep in mind though, while they have the book on that, they are a Restorers society and not the Allmighty* (or GM/Chevy).. :wink:

You might want to post a question on their website (www.ncrs.org) and/or buy the 1980-82 Corvette Technical Information Manual & Judging Guide (and other stuff).. http://www.ncrs.org/store/shop.cgi/shop.cgi/page=cart.htm/item=34/buy=1/SID=1153248670.3734

Sorry to not be able to give you a definite, but keep in mind 2 things:
The cars are 24 years old, so lots of changes have happened... AND...
It's YOUR car. Do whatever pleases YOU. No one here will judge you if you go off the board.. :)

I've seen a CE "reversed" (as in: a 82CE stripped and repainted with silver-beige stripes and decals on a black car,) and people thought i'd freak.. No, i actually thought it looked absolutly sharp.

:wave
-Stefan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:04 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Here is the correct color code for the wheels. Dupont Paint B8311J Medium Sand Gray. General Motors Code 7692.