It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:24 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Hi all,
i am contemplating getting my heater core replaced this winter (not that i havent gotten enough to do).. I've read plenty of the things i got to tear into, but i do still have a couple of questions:
1) I've found places that sell Heater Core for a 82 (78 to 82 actually), but also Evaporators.. Is there a difference ? There is in price (The Heater core is $99 at MAD, The Evaporator is $209 at TLD, eeek)..
2) I figure, i'll order a seal with it, as mine has been redirected for at least 6 years now, and i read the seal isnt getting better with time. Yes ?
3) I saw a nice instruction for a 77 heater core replacement with pics, but he was able to just remove the passenger side of the dash. Ours are 1-pieces and i am afraid to have to take the entire thing off. Do i have to ? Or is there enough room wheni take the middle console out ?
4) Everyone recommended to get the core pressure checked prior to installing it. How (and where) would i do that ?
5) After the new one is in, do i need to get the A/C filled ? My system hasnt been operable for 6+ years, but i dont know whether the freon is still good.. Or am i thinking in the wrong direction here ?

Again, this is a thought for now, depending on a couple of things coming together i might get the core and potentially the hi-flo cat done too.. If you guys could straighten me out as usual, i'd appreciate it..

:wave
-Stefan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:55 am 

Stefan,

I'm not an expert at it, but I will try to answer some of your questions, sure my answers might be wrong, but I'm going to try anyway... :D

The evaporator is for the AC system, not the heat. So yes theres a difference...

Do everything you can while it's apart, seal's and all. After you get it all back together, you will be really happy if you don't have to pull it all back apart again next weekend to replace one more doohickey...

Yes you have to remove the whole dash on the 82's. Thats what I have been told anyway...

And #4. You can pressure check it yourself, get a 5 gallon bucket, fill it with water, make an air hose connection to one end of the new core, and it's REAL IMPORTANT to only pressure check with about 20 to 25 pounds of air pressure, (NOT 100 pounds)...
Maybe a picture is worth 1000 words...

And no don't have to refill the AC system, if it hasn't worked in years, and you don't need it to work, then leave it empty. Just refilling it won't do any good unless you replace the parts that are leaking, or are broken then vacuum it down before hand anyway...

No sense going fast--clean/paint/restore each part as you pull it out--that way you trade PITA for a grand accomplishment.
A few quick tips:

1. Make sure your new core is leak free before you install it.
2. By a new gasket kit and use it.
3. Make sure all the vacuum diaphragms work before putting everything back together.
4. There are four bolts through the firewall. Three are removed from the inside;the fourth (upper driver's) is a stud with a nut that must be removed from the engine compartment.
5. The inlet/outlet tubes are a very tight fit through the hole in the firewall, especially if you don't remove the gasket first (gasket best seen/removed from under the car).

Paragon has 2 versions of the heater core for a good price, the more expensive one is the GM OEM one, it's worth the extra bucks to get it for fit and quality.
http://www.corvette-paragon.com/catalog/default.aspx?key=heater+core&part=

Or, I've been told to go with Dr. Rebuild, he has all the parts, as well as a real good diagram of the whole operation, with instructions...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:59 am 

One other thing to consider. You can probably take your original core to a radiator shop and have it re-cored, shouldn't cost more than about $35.00, and your assured it will fit because you just took it out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:41 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Thanks for the reply Dawg.. As i still havent gotten a lift/car jack of some professional sort (ie. with stands etc), i dont know whether i can get under the car (re #4 on your list)..
I like your though re re-coring.. Sounds like a good way to go (with a gasket kit, might as well, while i have it apart).. Then i'll know i got the right fit.

I guess, my question brought up something else: My system was disconnected a couple of years back and neither heat nor the a/c work. The only thing running is the fan. So, my question, i guess, is one of confusion regarding refilling the A/C: If the heater core was disconnected and my A/C isnt working, that might be 2 issues, not necessarily interconnected (no pun intended.. :wink: )..

Guess, i got to do one thing, then see what works and what doesnt, and take it from there..

NOT looking forward to taking the dash off.. :roll:

Thanks as always..

-Stefan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:20 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

I replaced my heater core a couple years ago and it was a PITA. But only due to having to take so many things apart. I managed to get mine out w/o taking the whole dash completely off...Just the right side and center bezel section. I also replaced the center distribution duct while I was in there. That's the main duct behind the bezel that directs heat/AC to the right/left/up/down. But that's a whole other story.

The heater core has nothing to do with the AC system, so that won't be affected.

Good luck. Be patient, take lots of digi's and label everything.

BTW, since I had my guage bezel out, I replaced all the little light bulbs in it....I tried to only have to do this once. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:57 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

This may be a little late to help but is good info anyway. I have learned to pressure test the core in an inexpensive way. Take a bicycle tire tube and cut it (so it is no longer a circle, but more of a "c" shape), then clamp the two open ends to the core inlet and outlet. You can now use the tubes filler valve to achieve the 20-25 psi (check with your tire pressure gauge),and watch for leaks in the bucket of water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:19 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

That's a great idea!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all of our Corvette families!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:10 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

82collectorshark wrote:
This may be a little late to help but is good info anyway. I have learned to pressure test the core in an inexpensive way. Take a bicycle tire tube and cut it (so it is no longer a circle, but more of a "c" shape), then clamp the two open ends to the core inlet and outlet. You can now use the tubes filler valve to achieve the 20-25 psi (check with your tire pressure gauge),and watch for leaks in the bucket of water.

Thats an awesome idea.. Something even an un-car-techy like me can do.. Yeay!!

And such help is NEVER late.. BTW, my entire core plan got sidetracked, i havent even gotten the parts yet. There is a big thing coming around the corner (cant speak to it yet), but "playing" with the car is out for right now. I'll keep these notes for when i do tear into it someday..

Thanks Guys for all the helpfull tips!

-Stefan