It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:21 am 
Forum Member
Forum Member

My fuel gauge is inop and until I can find time to fix it I am guessing at when its on empty by resetting the mileage everytime I fill up. The guy I bought it from says it will go 250 mile until its empty but I wanted to make sure and see what you guys were getting. I run premium 93 octane also, is that ok?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:30 am 

I have been averaging about 20 mph city /hwy and commute just over 100 miles a day, generally fill up at half a tank or about every 230 miles takes around 11 gals. If I’m not mistaken the tank hold 24 gals. So it sounds like you should be good at around 250 miles.

When I first got the 82 the gauge would stick at half a tank, I found out that the fuel cell bladder will pull away from the wall of the tank and let the float stick on it. I pulled the sending unit and made an adjustment to the float arm; also replaced the fuel pump while I had it out with an 85 pump gives better fuel volume. Also upped the pressure from 12 to 15 lbs. Smother Idle and better throttle response.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:58 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

I might be wrong here, but i was under the impression we had a 20 gal tank ?? I'm not sure though.. I usually go to 280 miles on the trip thing before i get more fuel. I usually have about 2-3 gallons left.. So i could take her to 300 easy. I do travel mostly back roads, not many lights or traffic for that matter, so my gas mileage usually comes out at around 21-23 (if i remember that correctly, Sorry, it's a Monday and my brain isnt firing on all cylinders yet :wink: )

As to 93: Yes i run mine on 93 too, but: It's rated for regular and you will hear a lot of people saying that anything above is a waste of money. Yes, it is.
BUT.... I've put regular in mine and ran it. It pinged like a baby rattle going up the hill where i live and was more sluggish then usual. I figure, that for the 1500-2000 miles every year, i'll continue to run 93, until i figure out what i need to dial in to get back to regular.. That time will probably come when i take her back to being a daily driver..

:wave
-Stefan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:15 pm 
Forum Member
Forum Member

Great info guys thanks! I will look into maybe upgrading the fuel pump also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:51 pm 

Checked on the fuel tank in the owners book 23.7 gals.. I hate it when you get old and can't remember things. Let me know if you would like more info on changing over to the 85 pump...

steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:30 pm 
Forum Member
Forum Member

Yeah that would be great if you could get me some more info on that fuel pump swap.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:18 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

We Gone wrote:
Checked on the fuel tank in the owners book 23.7 gals.. I hate it when you get old and can't remember things. Let me know if you would like more info on changing over to the 85 pump...

steve

Thanks Steve for checking.. :o

Now i got to check to see where my 3.7 gals are, maybe the bladder collapsed.. :? Could i even "see" that without dropping the tank?

Ah, yes, yet another item for "The List"...

:wave
-Stefan

Post subject: Fuel mileage
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:20 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

You guys running 93 gas better not do that every tankfull. You run the possibility of burning a piston or valve in the process. Those 350's innerds were designed for optimal efficiency using regular juice. It won't hurt to use 93 once a month, as I do in my Vette, Charger and Mach 1, just to keep their vocal cords clean.

Just some friendly advice.....

Bigdaddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:45 am 

[quote="K9 Vette"]Yeah that would be great if you could get me some more info on that fuel pump swap.

Thanks[/quote]

Had to pull the sending unit to fix a sticking sending unit float and the connector from the pump to the hard line on the sending unit was swollen and was lose. While I had things apart I went ahead and changed to an 85-fuel pump for better volume. Gordon Kilabrew told me about doing this and it works great, at start up no more surging and much better throttle response. I also upped the fuel pressure by about 3 lbs at the regulator.

Go with an 85 pump. Changing the plug was all I had to do. Got mine from AutoZone $85 came with the plug and wires to make the change, be sure to pull the ECM fuse by the battery after the change so it will relearn the fuel curve.

The regulator regulates the pressure and a TPI pump only puts out around 50psi all the extra just goes back to the tank on the return line. By the way I also turned my fuel pressure up from 12psi to 15psi.

No need to drop the tank everything comes out the top, just take your time getting the lines off and working the unit out takes a bit of twisting just carefull not to damage the float assembly.

Post subject: Re: Fuel mileage
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:48 am 

[quote="bigdaddy"]You guys running 93 gas better not do that every tankfull. You run the possibility of burning a piston or valve in the process. Those 350's innerds were designed for optimal efficiency using regular juice. It won't hurt to use 93 once a month, as I do in my Vette, Charger and Mach 1, just to keep their vocal cords clean.

Just some friendly advice.....

Bigdaddy[/quote]

Never heard of this !! I have been running nothing but high test in my Vettes for the past 30 years and never had any issues..with many going well over 100K miles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:25 am 
Forum Member
Forum Member

Well I'm learining a lot so far here. Regular fuel will probably be fine for now then atleast until I get it all tuned up then I may add high octane every once in a while.

How often do you guys run injector cleaner? I heard it is bad to run that stuff a lot but I do not drive this car that often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:34 am 

I run BP high test or Chevron high test...The Chevron has a good cleaner in it and cost a bit more so I try and run it about every 3rd tank full. They also make a good cleaner over the counter it has techrolon (not sure about the spelling) in it and I run a bottle thru about once a year. most auto parts stores have it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:53 pm 

Ok guys. As for a reallity check.

Yes running anything higher then 89 octane in our '82's will hurt your engine, foul up the fuel pump/filter, ecm unit runs car richer, maybe but not showen in tests might drop a cylinder and running the boost octane will not do anything but put lower emissions on the A.I.R. You say' Waste of money for the 93 octane and boost'??? YES... True and fact. Our engines where tested with 87 octane but as we all know it pinges our pistons on the up hills. I for one always run 89 octane for I hate the sound on my hills I drive. But as we all say' use your own judgement'.

NCM Lifetime Member #1353
Iron82

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:03 pm 

Not meaning to start an issue over fuel octane.
However, I can find no warning about the use of higher octane fuels in the owner Manuel I do find many warnings about using only unleaded fuel. In fact, if you read Fuel Requirements in section 2-4 it states you should use an unleaded fuel with a rating of at least 87 octane.

Now in your defense it also states that using a higher octane rating than that which allows occasional spark knock is an unnecessary expense.

I see no warning from GM about a higher octane fuel creating any issues with internal parts...I also would like to know how octane would foul up a fuel pump or filter? as for the ECM it controls the fuel curve based on readings from the TPS, than the O2 after fuel is burned O2s along with a few other sensors.

I guess I could go on but I will wait for a reply to this first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:52 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

We're only having a friendly comparison here, right ? Right.. 8)

I have run mine on high (93 here in the US, Super Plus in Germany (ratings in Germany are different, so Super+ is rated 98, but we measure differently see this link for the explanation of RON & MON)) since i had her at 73k miles. I am at 105k now and except the testing with 87 havent run anything other then 93 in her.

I am no mechanic but i havent seen any adverse effects (other then the wallet getting slimmer) with running 93..

When i tested mine on 87 it felt sluggish ("seat o' the pants" feeling, again i am no mechanic) and going up our hill, it rattled like i lost my kids toys in the carb.

I would really like to know if runnig her at 93 hurts her.. Maybe only over the long run ?