It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

spickens

1 Posts
Posted - 08/17/2004 : 15:51:18
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My wife and I have had a 82 Collector's Corvette since about 1990. No matter how many times the rear hatch window has been adjusted it continues to have a problem opening. It appears just to be a bad design. The car frame flexes on the road, the gas shocks on the window push the glass to the rear and then the catches are unable to release when the release handle is pulled. Does any body have a fix for this? Does everybody have this problem? Does any body know where I can get another set of hinges for this hatch? She loves the car, it's her daily driver but after 14 years she's feed up with the rear hatch. I would sure welcome your input.

Desertdawg

10 Posts
Posted - 08/19/2004 : 02:34:52
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are not alone.

Mine and about half of the other members on this Registry are having the same problems, It is a terrible design with the hinge itself, or rather the metal of the hinge. It flex's outward, and then everything you described happens.

We have been discussing this for most of the year now, and there are a couple of us working on a replacement hinge.

Hopefully we can get our old forum up soon, and then we can figure out if any of the other members have gotten anywhere yet....

Please tell you wife to be patient. We are working on it...

Oh, and WELCOME to the CE registry, and forum...

82collectorshark

USA
12 Posts
Posted - 08/19/2004 : 15:48:05

Yes,a lot of,if not all of us have this problem.The most common temporary fix,(and it lasts awhile)is to remove the hinges and squeeze them slowly and with much patience in a vice.I retuned mine over a quarter inch with no problem and the hatch works great now.You can pad the vice with pieces of wood to save from making marks on the hinge.They will eventually spread again but it will take awhile.
Good Luck,
Jules

82collectorshark

USA
12 Posts
Posted - 08/19/2004 : 15:50:16

P.S. and welcome to the forum!!!!

the 82

USA
3 Posts
Posted - 08/21/2004 : 11:55:40

I am still trying to find an original hinge to use a template to have them reproduced. The man that will do the work has asked me about it 3 or 4 times since he offered his services. Problem is; no new hinge or drawings of same anywhere to be found. Please, everyone, try all of your sources to help locate a new, original, un-stretched hinge we can borrow/buy as a model.

Thanks
JohnnyB

JohnnyB