It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Chirp Chirp 2009 Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:25 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

:lol:
Thought it might be time for a 2009 version of Chirp Chirp.. Yes, i am still here, checking in daily, if i can. Car is my DD, so i am well happy.. 8)

Had some works done, as my car was under the gun to get titled in 2007 and i chose the wrong shop (GM-Opel) who glued gaskets for the covers, the diff and the oil pan and replacing the oil with incorrect oil (probably synth :evil: ) making the car leak like a faucet..

Just came back from a real US car guy, who replaced all sorts of stuff, including the cat, the tires (now running Goodyear GT+4's), replaced the gaskets (without the glue), the main bolt of the diff, the spindels and now the car runs much better. It stopped leaking, but there is still the engine main oil seal to be looked at and the oil pan gasket.

But i got to chirp the tires yesterday, unwilling of course, at a light when a pedestrian didnt move quick enough crossing the street at a red light. :roll: :lol:

Hope all is well with you and yours (including the car(s)).

Big wave from this side of the planet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:44 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Mmmmmh.. I guess, there are no more CE's out there.. :lol:

Here are links to past CHIRP CHIRP Threads..

2005: http://www.corvetteaddiction.com/82ce/forum/viewtopic.php?t=111

2006: http://www.corvetteaddiction.com/82ce/forum/viewtopic.php?t=221

So, no one feeling for a little BSing anymore ? :wink:

Post subject: Still alive in CT
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:52 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Hey Gang:

Twice I had the car out to find a Cruise Night, Twice I was the only one there!

The First Judged Corvette Show I could find (within 150 miles) turns out to be on Fathers Day. So I can't really justify leavin the Kids Home & going on a road trip. Even though they say "It's your day, Do what you want" That's code for "you had better make the right call. LOL

Looks like now I have to wait till mid July for my first Show, then the season will be over by Oct. !!! Bummer.

Finally paid the car off last month. Now they will have to pry it from my cold dead hands! No economic downturn is going to change that!

Anyway good to see some activitive here.

I'll make apoint of checking in more!

Gerry C 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:28 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Hey Gerry..

Welcome to the 82 CE Club of two (or 3 if you count myself).. :lol:

Congrats of paying it off. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:11 pm 

Well, I've had the same problem with my CE. Now, I'm not a father like Gerry (Happy Father's day, by the way), but, I can't seem to find any shows here in Rhode Island. All it's been doing here is raining. Looks like it's going to be a short season for driving her :roll:

Now with just over 55,000 original miles and 27 years gone by, I've been told my vehicles a driver. Mostly original including the rims (right down to the factory correct paint codes). I've replaced the Delco stereo cassette with a Pioneer Premier high end model. Still have the original radio. Battery has been replaced and tires replaced with Goodyear Eagle GT II. Rear hatch has been worked on and works flawlessly.

Let's face it, you don't come across many CE's in good condition nowadays unless they've been restored. Oh, I've replaced the interior seats...Everything else there is original.

What makes a show car? Something with under 10,000 miles?

I had a C4 (1988) and owned it for 20 years. I had 29, yes, 29 original miles and sold it for only 18,000.00. I say drive them and enjoy them.
With that being said, I still don't like to take her out in the rain. :lol:

Drive them and enjoy them!

Gino

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:11 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Gino,
Show Cars to me are cars that arent driven. However many miles they accumulate. Mine has 108500 on it. 72k before me, rest = me.. And enjoying every single one of them miles. But other people have different ideas of our cars. 8)

To me, there is a CE in Bowling Green, in the museum. Done. Dont need to add mine for that. :lol:

Now, i do have a question: Do you want to sell your radio ? A while back i had mine repaired by Ecklers and instead of fixing it, they swapped it to a 81 Radio. While mine works fine, displays all the numbers, it's not a 82CE Radio with AM/FM and Stereo Cassette that came with the car. It's got an extra button on it. :roll:

I've been trying to locate one in good condition. If you're willing to part with yours, pls let me know. If not, i understand.

Thanks for checking in!

(And yes, Happy Fathers Day to all Dads. Ours went by already, so i didnt even think of that. :oops: )

Post subject: AGREED!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:55 am 

Sefan,

I couldn't agree with you more...Since there's a CE in bowling green, what's the purpose of keeping mine that way. I have a Frnklin mint numbered/limited 1 of 6,759 (mine's 2 thousand and something)...I look at it and admire it. But, as for my CE I want to be the one who enjoys it; NOT the person I eventually sell it to. I've learned my lesson when I sold my 88 Vette. I was getting replies like; "Such low milage, what's wrong with it? How was it stored? I'll need to put 5,000 of work into it? No one wanted to purchase it for a show car and when a Co. named Florida Motorsports bought it...I received only 18,000? They bought it to place next to their 35th Anniversary edition. Once again, lesson learned.

Now as for the radio,
The radio was changed because I wanted the ability to play CD, Mp3s and my iPod. Sorry, but the factory radio will be sold with the original speakers with the car when I sell it. These factory radios are out there. Do a google search and check Ebay (place it as a favorite search and Ebay will notify you when someoine has theirs up for sale. You may also want to try, and I HIGHLY recommend, Dino's Corvette Salvage; 1-888-467-8388. Now, if no one answers; leave a message and they will get bak to you.

We all have a love/hate relationship with these beauties...But, the rewards of driving these C3s with great body lines outweigh the hate by plenty.

Gino

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:02 am 

Oh, and I know it's Stefan not sefan... :lol: Sorry, my spelling needs more work than my CE does. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:34 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Gino, no sweat about the Radio, i got one in mine, though i never listen to it anways. The sound of the engine is anough for me.. :lol:

It's just one of those things. I dont plan on selling mine, ever. The wife has to bury me in it. :D :D But anytime i hear someone talking about a unused radio, i pipe up and do ask. One just never knows.

I am on the hunt also for a coat hanger thingy. I can see the outline and the screw holes, but never really pursued it in earnest. Everytime i look at the passenger side though i notice it. :oops:

Mine is mine, to be driven and romped on. 8)

Post subject: Auto salvage
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:36 am 

Stefan,
Try an auto salvage for the coat hanger hook. My personal favorite, as I've said before, is Dino's Auto salvage (see phone number in the above thread). They ship Worldwide and currently have three CE's; one has definitely been parted out.

Yes, the engine is loud, which is why I went with a high end Pioneer radio, but I seldom use it...go figure :roll:

With the money I've put into the restoration of parts like seats, halo panels, extra set of caps, Steve Simpsons rear window hinges (makes a great hinge that never stretches out), and repairs to fuel pump and electrical system; I must be over 24,000 by now. I know milage means everything when is comes to selling these beauties, but I'd never sell under 24,000 because I know the quality work I've put into it...So, burry me in it too! 8) :wink:

Post subject: Question on seat hinges
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:42 pm 

Stefan, I started a new thread on this subject, but figured I'd ask you also. Ever since I purchased my CE, I'm unable to get the passenger seat to fold down. Is there a certain way to do this? :idea:

I just fold the seat by grabbing a hold the top of the back rest and it folds right down on the driver's side. :?

Thanks.
Gino

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:34 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

I agree the cars need to be driven to be appreciated. I'm looking for the plastic caps inside the car which cover the t-top brackets. Any ideas where to get them. Also i have a delco radio/cb if anyone is looking for one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:52 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Thanks Basecar, radio/cb isnt it.. But appreciate you saying..

The T Top Base Lock Covers can be gotten here:

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette.ht ... er%20block

They are called: T-top Tongue Cover, #612-064, $6.99 a pop..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:07 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Thanks, I'll look for them first at Bloomington Gold next week, if not I'll order them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:03 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Found the caps, now I just have to find the screws. Bloomington Gold was somewhat disapointing, had not been to it since it moved from Bloomington. Thought the swap meet, vendors, for sale lot was much smaller, 1/3 to 1/2 of what I remember. Did see two CE's go to the auction, one I thought rough looking with 40.000 miles only got a bid of $8600, did not meet the reserve. The other one had I believe 24,000 miles and sold at $16,000.