It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Original Color on Rims
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:20 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Hey Gang:

Twenty years ago I was the second owner of a very low mileage (7k) original 82CE. The rims on that car were a dark brown. Not black, clearly brown, but dark.

It actually bothered me because they did not match the Center Caps.

I honestly feel GM was going for a "Spectrum of Shading" between the Caps & the Wheels, similar to the interior door panels & seat covers.

Years later when I bought my current CE (a 38K mutiple owner car) I decided to please myself, instead of the NCRS. I had the rims refurbished with the exact GM Paint code to match the centercaps, GM 7692 Medium Sand Gray. No regrets :!:

Interestingly enough the rims on the second car, prior to refurbishing were... that's right... Black.

obviously I have no clue why, but there is no doubt... there are lots of CE's out there with incorrectly refurbished Black coves.

Save the wave.

Gerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:52 pm 

So true...Many 82 CE's have the incorrect color black in between the rim coves. As far as I know, the caps are sandstone grey and the color in between the rim cove is cinnamon brown (dark brown). They've been called bronze also.

I would say the majority of CEs have black rims...As to why they were painted black and not bronze/DK Brown? I guess we'll never know :roll:

Could very well be that the remanufacturing compnay had no clue to what the color should be.

Thanks for the post Gerry.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:55 pm 

Glastc3 wrote:
GM replacement wheels are still GM made. Thanks for the info. Yes, I'd love to know what the other members have for wheel color on their CEs.

The rims on my 82 CE are bronze between the spokes. Also, I purchased a set on e-bay, and they are also painted bronze. I purchased my CE on e-bay from Omaha, NE for $6,300.00, is unrestored, & appraised for $11,570 when it was delivered. I am currently repairing the body (minor damage). It is the 255th Vette produced in the '82 model year.

Post subject: Re: CE Rims
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:18 am 

I just had a 82ce vet passed down to me from my grandparents. They are the original owners and apparently it's car #65 or something like that.

I don't know if they had anything done to the wheels or not but they have the black in between the spokes. I will ask them if they know anything about it.

Post subject: Re: CE Rims
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:57 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Well Sheridan, firstly congrats to the car.

Very interesting posts all of them.. We got a variety of owners saying bronze and some black. NCRS says also both, but Black being a GM Replacement wheel. Can someone maybe find out what that means? Where the original wheels damaged and our cars with the black got a set from inhouse or is this after the car left the factory? Keep them info coming gang.