It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:37 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Boy...am I pumped....I just got it back from the body shop on the weekend & I can't stop grinning.... :D :D

Now all I gotta do is finish masking off the chromed rims & get them painted up this winter.... 8)

Have a look see... http://picasaweb.google.ca/1MORTOY/1982 ... nCorvette#

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:46 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

WOW !!

Thats one heck of a nice car, eh? (Canadian export from the factory? With the km/mls speedo? Very cool)..

The car looks great Dave. How did the colours (Canadian after all :lol: ) come out where they only painted a little bit, instead of a whole panel? Looks right in the pics but how about in person? I've got a few scratches et al and have been dreading only having little bits done.

Very 8) Thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:08 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

The guy is a master (or magician...LOL) I can't see the blend even when he showed me where it was !! Even under mercury vapour & florescent lights.

I swear the car had been washed many times with a bucket of gritty water, because the whole car had swirls & fine scratches everywhere. It was so bad that I really considered having the whole car repainted, or at least re clear coated!! :cry:

The hood decal looked horrible too, all scratched & swirled. That really bugged me because of the price of a decal set...$1200.00 & up. :shock:

He said that it wasn't necessary to repaint it totally, that he could do the necessary repairs & that any competent detailing shop could power polish the rest out. He was highly recommended so I said OK...get it done.

When he finished, I took it to a local detailing shop used by other members of the local Corvette club.
I had all the areas that weren't freshly painted power polished, even the hood decal.
It all turned out so nicely that just can't believe it. :D

Now I really want that set of chrome side pipes to compliment the chrome wheels. 8)
http://www.corvetteaddiction.com/82ce/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453

Post subject: Very Nice
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:16 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Car looks great! Thanks for sharing!
I may have to do a "Fender Blend" I droped a wrench while re-installing my repainted hood
and put a chip right in the top of the fender bump. AUGH!
A buddy with the skills did the best he could to repair it (flush and all) But I know it's there.

Love the close up shots of the rims!!!!
I don't know why but the "Stock" Paint on the wheel "Coves" never seemed to match the center caps very well. In fact when I researched it a few years back I got TWO separate Paint codes. Yet your shots of the new rims (Stored a week after purchse) appear to have center caps & Rims that match very well. I dont get it.

FYI: Since I decided not to worry about NCRS on this car, (and didn't want newer paints screwing up the Center Caps) I decided it was just easier to just use the "Center Cap" Paint code on the rims when I refurbished them. I don't care what "shade" floats your boat, but I always felt the Rim Coves & Centercaps should match.

Enjoy that great looking Ride![/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:14 pm 
Forum Member
Forum Member

What were the 2 paint codes for the wheels that you got? :?:

Post subject: Paint Code Reply
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:18 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

The Paint Code for the Center Caps is, Dupont B8311J (aka) GM 7692 "Medium Sand Gray"

I didn't save , couldn't find, the Paint code for the "Brown" GM used on the Rims.

FYI:
I had a local paint shop use a digital color "Reader" to match the dark end of my hood decal. I have used that "Brown" to re-do my tail light coves, under side of the hood, Paint over my rocker panels, and Grill Work (Front & Side). Eventualy if the decals ever become aged (they still look great) I will use the custom color to paint the replacment pho-decals. In my opinion the Dark Brown really Brings out the Silver Biege. The Black "stock" GM Parts just didn't do it for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:06 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

I agree wth you...I think the caps should match the rims too. I bought another set of new center caps just for the chrome rims so I could keep the originals with the OEM rims.
I'll just get him to work his magic & match the paint to the new caps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:16 pm 

Looks great ..........mine in exopy primer right now

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:15 pm 

Got mine back 2 weeks ago ..............i been busy i gutted everything except the dash , been busy , im underneath it now por 15 :mrgreen: