It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Have you seen my post?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:22 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

I thought I posted this once, but can't find it anywhere. Maybe I've lost my way around the Registry. :(

Anyway, I want to start restoring my interior and was wondering if there is a difference between the dye & the interior paint.

Reason being, the seats and door panels - obvious dye treatment.

Plastic trim - obvious paint treatment.

But what about the rubber door & console arm rests?

And what about the headliner and t-top trim? It seems like plastic, but is actually vinyl covered.

Does one product do all?

And finally - Should I order the paint from Eckler's, or take a more professional approach and go through a body & paint supplier?

I restored the interior of a Chevy truck about 25 years ago and went through the process of cup spraying the color on the plastic door panels and the dash with dye from a supply house. Turned out great and was very happy with the results. Did the prep cleaning & the primer thing that changed the interior from factory tan to Dove Gray. But it was so long ago, I would like to have the same results with my vette.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:28 pm 
Forum Member
Forum Member

I had recently sprayed my seat frame plastic items with a spray "dye" from Corvette America and had good results. I cleaned the surface with 3M wax / adhesive remover and used a dye primer prior to spraying with the color. The product I used can be found on the following link, says it works on leather, vinyl, fiberglass, plastic, and metal.
http://www.corvetteamerica.com/cf/learn ... ord=431960

Have not tried on any of the vinyl or leather parts, therefore would be unable to comment.

Of course, they also offer this dye in a quart can if you wish to spray it, would likely be more economical this way as the aerosol does not go far when used in multiple light coats as recommended.