It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Just a thought!
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:35 pm 

Yeah I'm thinking again, and that means trouble!!!!

So what I noticed lately is the new members that are trickling in one or two at a time, and they always want a set of hinges. From what I have heard, Steve won't make them without an order of 10 or so, and the newbies are SOL....

So here's where my hair brain scheme comes into play.
First let me say that since I don't have a CE anymore, I'm kind of out of the fray. But I really still love seeing all the CE's get what they deserve.
So whats the chance of a the members of the registry getting together and ordering a batch to keep on hand, then when newbie shows up there's a great chance they won't be left hanging for months waiting for the list to populate....

It wouldn't be to make money, they could be sold at cost, and there's a good chance that an order of 10 hinges might take a few years to deplete. but like I said, it was just a thought!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:16 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

sounds like a good idea, lets see how many now need a set. What was the price, 108?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:12 pm 

In theory it's a good idea. I've also told a couple new members about the hinges, and all I can recommend is to contact Steve and hope he'll make a set. It's not a good system if someone needs a set and Steve isn't making them.

The problem is, how are we going to get 8-10 members to shell out $300 for each set of hinges that aren't even for their car? They'll probably eventually get the money back, but it'll take time and they won't make anything. Then who foots the bill for the next batch? I guess if all members kicked in it would be cheaper, but it'll probably still be difficult to get people to do it.

:idea: It seems like a good way to do it would be to convince Steve to make a batch to keep and sell as people need them. Or if he doesn't want to make a whole batch without getting paid, then make three or four extra sets as part of the next batch. That way he'll have the extras to sell as people need them and he won't be out a whole lot of money for the material and his time. He could even sell those for a little more, say $325. Call the people who order as part of the batch a "group buy" so they get them for $300, and if someone needs a set right away they pay a little more to compensate Steve for putting out the time and money up front.

Another possibility would be for one person to order a batch from Steve and sell them as people need them for a small profit. I might do it depending on the numbers and how Steve feels about it.

Either way, I agree that it would be better to do something so that people can get the hinges when they need them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:30 pm 

BlackbirdZ07 wrote:
The problem is, how are we going to get 8-10 members to shell out $300 for each set of hinges that aren't even for their car?

Yeah, my thoughts exactly....
Out of 157 members, there are only 8 to 10 that are active. And I'm afraid it would eventually erk someone that shelled out his portion for a batch to be ordered, and then had to wait 2 years for his money back.

Getting Steve to have an extra couple of sets on hand is the best solution, unfortunately I bet he won't do it!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:45 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

FYI: I touched base with steve last week RE: Hinges. He responded quickly just to tell me was "Really Busy Right Now" and that he would get back to me. As soon as he does I'll post something. :)

:idea: Is there a way to "post" a list.? Who knows there may be 8-10 people out there right now who need these "Improved Hinges"

Gerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:35 am 

I tried to get in on the last set, but I was a day or two late. So I guess until another set is put together, I am still SOL. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:43 am 

blooeyesguy wrote:
I tried to get in on the last set, but I was a day or two late. So I guess until another set is put together, I am still SOL. :(

It's not a good system when people are waiting for parts to be produced. I wonder if Steve would enter into a licensing agreement if someone else found a machine shop that could duplicate the hinges. That way people would get the hinges when they need them and Steve wouldn't even have to make them, he'd just sit back and collect a royalty on each set sold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:54 am 

When Steve first started this, I suggested to him to contact Ecklers, Corvette Central.... And see if they would buy a batch from him...

But he had me on ignore by that time. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:10 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

I was all in on the first production, but I had gotten away from the forum for awhile and missed out on them. I'd still like to get a set though, but I'm afraid I'll loose interest if it takes another 6 mos + to get them. Its that whole instant gratification thing I'm still working on!