It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How many CE's left?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:07 pm 

I was just wondering if there is any way of knowing how many of the original CE's are still alive? Does anyone know how many remain in the US ? How many are overseas?
Just Wondering!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:08 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Thats close to impossible to ascertain, m8.. As there is no central register, one would have to ping all 50 DMV's in the US, as well as research all import/export logs of customs.

Would be interesting to know though.. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:36 pm 

I figured that would be the case - Its a shame you don't have a crystal ball!!
Wouldn't it be good to know though - Maybe we should all ask santa next time we are sitting on his knee :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:30 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

:lol: I will, although my daughter might protest me taking her spot with Santa. :lol:

This brought up a question for Mark though:

Mark: Do you want us to add VIN's for CE's we see, such as for sale on ebay into the Registry here ? Maybe we can get our records completed.. One day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:02 pm 

I guess the other question for starters is how many of the members on this forum - 148 listed - are still alive (thats the CE's not the members - I sometimes wonder about myself!! :D )
There is a large proportion of them that have never posted on the forum - do they still own their CE?
Of the 148 members listed , I would not be surprised if less than 100 still have their car , and if the registry has only captured 10% of all of the still living CE's that puts the total at 1000ish.
If of the 6759 originals built only 1000 are left then thats 85% loss or 3.4% a year (25 years) thats 135 per year!! sounds like alot but I guess the attrition rate in terms of percentage left would increase as time went on.
I would guess that by far the majority of CE's are still here in the states , those that have gone overseas and are alive would I guess be less than 100 - so would there be as many as 900 left in the states?
I am just playing with numbers here - I would be interested to here peoples opinions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:02 pm 

I guess the other question for starters is how many of the members on this forum - 148 listed - are still alive (thats the CE's not the members - I sometimes wonder about myself!! :D )
There is a large proportion of them that have never posted on the forum - do they still own their CE?
Of the 148 members listed , I would not be surprised if less than 100 still have their car , and if the registry has only captured 10% of all of the still living CE's that puts the total at 1000ish.
If of the 6759 originals built only 1000 are left then thats 85% loss or 3.4% a year (25 years) thats 135 per year!! sounds like alot but I guess the attrition rate in terms of percentage left would increase as time went on.
I would guess that by far the majority of CE's are still here in the states , those that have gone overseas and are alive would I guess be less than 100 - so would there be as many as 900 left in the states?
I am just playing with numbers here - I would be interested to here peoples opinions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:18 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Honestly, my guesstimate was always thinking about half would have survived 25 years.. So around 3000-ish.. But maybe it's more in the middle, so around 1500. Dunno..
I wouldnt take our registry as the numbers to dial it off of. Lots of people dont know about this place or have interest in the "interweb" thing.. :lol:

I'll see if i can find an average of cars that surivive after 25 years, although, even that might not mean a thing, as ours were deemed "Collector" items, so the attrition might not be as high as a street beater..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:51 am 

I emailed the indiana BMV last night and asked them if they could supply a list of all of the CE's titled here (should be at least one - mine!!) Not sure if they will be willing to tell me - privacy rules etc - but I figured it cost nothing to ask. If I can get them to give me a list of vin numbers then it wouldn't be that much work to then contact the other states and so compile a full US list.
It may not be possible if they won't release the info (Vin numbers would be great) , I will post the reply when I get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Would love to track every CE in existence..... Here are some thoughts, as I'm sure I've spent a hundred or so hours over the past few years tracking down ZR-1s. While I have tracking of appx 1,100 ZR-1, I have a longer listing of ownership histories of those I know about. As discussed, eBay is a great tool to use to obtain VINs, characteristics of the CE (mods, condition, etc.), and locations of where it has been or where it is being sold from. The biggest problem we have is not having access to all of the VIN numbers that I believe the Corvette Museum has.... If we have a good contact at the Museum, maybe a good friend can quietly pass on what they maintain. Secondly, we must sift through the 82 VINs to find the CEs.... if that is possible.

Please feel free to input CEs that pass through eBay... this site was initially built (for those of you who remember when it was restarted from Joe Yeatman, who initially started the CE Registry) to automate your updates direct to the web. I hosted the site from my home through my internet service provider in Texas. When we moved to Virginia, the ISP no longer allowed this and I've been technically limited in my time and ability to create an automated update to the web that filters out false entries to the registry. I currently capture all web updates in a table, then manually update the registry every 2 weeks or so... I'm always open to help if we have some web development / MYSQL talent among us.

Johnny B, do you have any good contacts at the NCM who can assist? For those of you who did not know, Johnny setup the first 82 CE event at the NCM, and is solely responsible for this 82 CE registry being here today!

Bottom-line, I'm all in for tracking all that we can.... but I'm sure there is much work that we need to split up. Let's start with finding out if the NCM can assist.......

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:00 pm 

According to the 82 Corvette Specification sheets that I got from GM all (and only ) 82 CE's have a 0 in the sixth digit of the VIN , so I am hoping that if the Indianna BMV can not or will not sort out the CE's from the rest , then they will supply a list of all 82 corvettes and I can sort the CE's myself. I am not interested in knowing the address or identity of the owner - just in the number by state and so hopefully we will not fall foul of any privacy rules.
Still waiting for a reply from the BMV - will post as soon as I get one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:26 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Good deal Mark.
I am not sure i understand your part about auto updateing? Something like a WebCrawl, that finds 82 Ce's and add's them to the Database? No wizz here, but i do work with 'puters.. :wink:

I added 2 entries from ebay just now (dang, i forgot one of them milages, the first one, if you could add that for me).. Hows that for a format? I also setup a favorite search with emails from ebay to send me new listings of all 82's, you never know what people put in as desciptions. I'll also go perusing CAC, if i remember correctly, there was a CE there recently for sale. Maybe a little work, but if you confirm the format (or make changes as you see fit) we can all help to add any CE VIN we can find.. 8)

I'll see if anyone on the CAC is at the NCM, or has a contact there ( i know at least one) and see if they could possibly send me the info. I'll post what i'll find..

As my daughter would say: YES WE CAN ! (Bob the builder.. :lol: )

BritVette: Good luck on the BMV!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:02 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Dont know if you want me to update each of them, but i found a ton of CE's on www.collectorcartraderonline.com, at search, enter 1982 - 1982, chevrolet, corvette and collector as a keyword and it has 34 entries ( 2 non-CE's), so 32 CE's from fairly recent (November as far as i can tell).
No recent CE's on the CAC for sale, but i will post the NCM question and a generic "If you have a 82 CE add your info" thread..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:25 pm 

I had a call today from a guy from the Indiana BMV , he was very helpful and seemed to think that he would be able to supply me a list of all of the Vin No's for all of the 82 Corvettes registered in the state. I can then sort out all of the ones with a 0 in the 6th digit and that should give us a list of all of the CE VINs on the road in Indiana - good news :D
He said that each state holds its own records so we will have to contact each state individually , its a shame but not an impossible task , especially if we can get a few people involved and share the load.
I will wait to see what he comes back with before we go any further but it looks good in theory. He also gave me a web site address to a site that links all of the 50 states BMV's so that should make contacting them a bit easier (I wrote it on a pad upstairs - will post it later)
Just thought I would give an update.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:26 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

I think mine is in here someplace

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:52 pm 

http://www.corvette.pl/1982,CE,Registry,en

have nice day