It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: loose windows
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:30 pm 

I have the drivers door panel off of my 82 CE to do some other stuff in there and why I am at it I wanted to look at the window which is a bit loose - If you have the door open there is movement in and out of probably 3/4 inch. When I close the window with the door shut , the window catches on that metal clip on the door frame near the top of the windshield , I have to push the window out at the top so that it runs past the clip. Is there any way to adjust the window so that it holds tight up against the outside skin of the door. The anti rattle bars at the top of the door are adjusted out as far as they will go but there is still about 1/4 inch gap between the window and the outside door frame.It seems to me that the bottom of the glass needs to be pulled towards the inside of the car?
I guess the damage has been done by people closing the door by pushing on the top of the window , it is mainly the drivers side , the passengers is no where near as bad.
Anyone got any advice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:26 am 

Do you have an AIM (assembly manual) yet???
There is a step by step set of instructions in it on how to adjust the windows, I had to use it on mine, and it works allot better than trying to figure it out yourself.

I would try to adjust them according to the AIM first, if that doesn't solve the play your seeing, then it may be time to pull the whole assembly out of the door and start replacing all the bushing's and roller's in the slides and mounted to the base of the glass.
It's a big job, and after I did mine it was just like new, no more play. I also replaced all the weatherstripping, it helped seal things up nice and tight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:22 am 

I have a GM manual but not an assembly manual , that is next on the list.
There is instructions on adjusting the window in the GM manual but not that detailed. Looks like I need to get the assembly manual and have another go.
Thanks for the advice
Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:46 am 

I have been looking at assembly manual's on ebay - Are ther good and bad versions of these ore are they all copies of the same manual?
Which one do you have?