It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:50 pm 

Hi - I have looked through the recent posts , ref , Stretched hinges on the rear hatch and I have a few questions (I am a newbee so bear with me)
My hatch glass fits fairly well except along the top where there is a gap , slightly wider one side than the other. I am assuming as everyone seems to have the same problem that the hinges have stretched but how can I tell? How do I measure them to see if they have stretched and what should they measure?
My next question may sound a bit strange , but I am not too worried about actually using the hatch , I just want it to seal all the way around.The struts don't hold the hatch open anyway and to be honest I find it easier to put things in the back over the seats than to stretch over the gas tank or fenders through the hatch - so is it necessary to change the hinges to the admittedly very nice shiny new ones that one of the members is fabricating?
My last question is about the rubber weatherstrip that the hatch glass seals to. Mine is pretty perrished in places. Does anyone know of a source for replacement and what is the cost?
Thanks very much to anyone that can offer some advice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:45 am 

First off here is the weatherstripping...
http://www.corvette-rubber.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=cr&Product_Code=B463

It's worth it to change it if you want it to seal.

Your glass sticking up is the classic symptom of the stretched hinges. Since you don't plan on using the hatch all that much, then you need to remove the hinges and slowly squeeze them in a vise, there's been a few posts about how to go about it. Or ask here and we can explain it again...
Keep the old worn out struts because even when the hatch is closed they exert pressure on the hinges and will stretch them again even without opening the hatch...

If you plan on using the hatch much, your going to have to email Steve Simpson about the new hinges, I'm not sure if he has any left, or if he is taking orders for them, but it's worth a try....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:38 am 

Thanks for the reply - I am not sure I was clear , My hatch does not stick up , I will not stay up when I open it (ie the struts don't hold it open) Anyway this doesn't really matter as I am just looking to seal it.
I will search through the old posts for info on how much to squeeze the hinges and will come back if I have more questions
Thanks again

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:27 pm 

britvette wrote:
My hatch glass fits fairly well except along the top where there is a gap , slightly wider one side than the other.

I thought this meant that your glass was sticking up????
You did say your struts were worn out, so I assumed that the hinges were stretched, when you close the hatch, the top lip doesn't seal across the halo.... Mine did that until I squeezed t hinges some...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:04 pm 

Oops - Another case of English - American communication problems on my part. :lol:
I thought , you thought that my hatch stuck when I opened it (ie when I opened it , I couldn't close it) But in fact when I open it , I have to lift it open and if I let go it slams closed because the struts are worn out.

I now see that (by "sticking up") you was referring to the gap at the top of the glass when the hatch is closed . This IS the problem I have and from what you have said , I need to "squeeze" the hinges back into shape.
Sounds Scary - is there no other way?

Appologies for the confusion - I think I managed to confuse myself - It doesn't take a lot !!!