It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:10 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

I must be the most unlucky person in the world. I buy a 82 C/E with 38K originial miles on it . I have done a lot of normal maintaince on it , plugs wires, cap, rotor, shocks all the necessary i love me stuff you do to a car to keep it in tip top shape.

Well I have been drivng her this week and i noticed that she was losing oil, that is it was not leaking on the floor no drips or leakage around the engine.just that she started running like a pig. Well after careful looking and trouble shooting. I found the problem .

I need a new engine . pulled the 6th plug and she was fouled with oil. Rings are gone. Unbelievable Well now I am in the market for an engine, guesss i will go with a crate motor........Whos says life is easy!!!

Edited Subject by Iron 82

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:38 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Wow.. i am at a loss for words.. That really sucks.. :shock: :shock:

Did you look into having it repaired ? (I dont know if thats even possible).

Sorry to hear

Post subject: 82collector
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:44 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Well lets see my luck is still terrible. I have called every engine place I can find Percission, Power Pro, ATK.ect..... and no one has a remanufactured motor.
Apparently yhe heads on this moter are not easy to obtain. So no one stocks a create or a remanufactured motor.

Back to the drawing board. And since i am a novice i guess i am really stuck because i know nothing about rebuilding a motor.......

Oh one more thing I did get ahold of the guy on Ebay for the hatch struts "Corvettepete". He does have more struts that Steve said would work with his new hinges i am having made. he said $108.00 set he will be back in town 20 Oct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:42 am 

:cry: Wow - really sorry to here about the engine - surely it must be fixable? Lets hope so anyway!! Keep us posted and best of luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:17 pm 

Before you panic, you might check a few things. A Bad valve seal will oil a cylinder pretty good although usually not to the plug fouling point, but an easy fix if so. An oil ring may be just "stuck" , that is gummed up from sitting, may need a good hard drive. A good engine shop can do a leak down test on the cylinders and tell you for sure if its rings or valves. And you have the engine. Unless the block or a head is broken (NOT likely) it can all be rebuilt. "We have the technology"

Most of us live for the challenge of these classics, that's what makes it FUN!! :D Like my engineer is always telling me "Just relax man!" 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:11 am 

Why don't you log onto the corvetteforum, go to the northeast and C3 sections and ask about competent repair/rebuild shops in your area. I'm sure there's plenty of C3 members living in your area that will gladly help if asked...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:06 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Good morning to all, And Thank you for the great advice. I have had a couple of cups of coffee and i have re gained my thinking power. So here goes as to what I have done and what I do know.
First thing is I thought the same way you did this car had to have sat up a long time with such low miles. SO i have been driving it and I have changed the oil 2 times in under 1200 miles just to make sure I might not have had that problem you have described. Itook it for a good ride 300hundred miles in one drive between oil changes. I have changed all the plugs, wires, rotor, cap, etc. I recently put a new fuel pump and relay in. SO all of that is new and has been checked . It works fine. Got 12 psi on the fuel gage and I also changed all the filters. I also put a new fuel vapor canistor in as well. I took it to a local place they did duplicate the same problem i had. Running rich, and back firing uner the hood 2 times.We pulled the plugs and found that number 6 plug was fouled with oil. I replaced the plug drove the car for 10 miles and she ran beautiful.....THEN it started again missing .pulled the 6 plug and it was fouled with oil. With that said I was told that the engine need to be overhauled much for the the reason you have stated here. I figured I would replace the engine. No luck I have called all over the nation Percision, Power Pro, ATK you name them I called them for a remanufactured engine. NO ONE works or has one because of the way the heads are mounter on the cross fire injection. SO with that said I have been trying to find some place that would overhaul the engine.......In my area not a very great place for this kind of service. With that said I need to keep working too find some one that can help me rebuild the engine.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:07 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Desertdawg wrote:
Why don't you log onto the corvetteforum, go to the northeast and C3 sections and ask about competent repair/rebuild shops in your area. I'm sure there's plenty of C3 members living in your area that will gladly help if asked...

I did all that you have recommended.......... look at this pic of my 6th plug....

http://i9.tinypic.com/4bdqama.jpg[/IMG]

I have checked all that you mentioned here,....... But I guess I got a bad ring..........