It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Seatbelts
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:56 pm 

Hi to all,
I have a possible issue with my seatbelts and wondered if anyone else out there has had a similar discovery.I was driving it home after buying it on Saturday and just by chanced happened to tug on the seatbelt - It doesn't matter how fast I pull - I can't get the belt to lock (as you would if you gave a modern cars belts a sharp tug). Is this normal or do I have a problem? It seems to me that the belts are not of much use if they don't lock , but I could be missing something obvious.
Any advice would be much appreciated
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:22 pm 

These tips are from my vette when I get in and out every day. The more you know your vette. The more you enjoy your vette. 8) :wink:

First of all, without tuging and wondering if it doesn't work. When you have the seat belts on and vette moving at a good speed. Step on the brakes hard and see if the seat belt locks work or not.

Not totally sure but, most modern cars have a different seat belt lock these days. If you get in and sit down. With a slight pull, pull the seat belts out striaght/parallel to the door the locks should not work. If you pull the seat belts to the steering wheel the locks should work.

NCM Lifetime Member #1353
Iron82

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:11 am 

Stepping on the brakes is correct, there is a pendulum in the locking mechanism, it won't lock unless the pendulum is swung forward like in a crash :shock:

Modern versions now use a sprung weight setup like the mechanical advance of the old distributors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:08 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

What the others said.. It works different..

Couple of ways to engage the lock:
- Step hard on the brakes from 40 mph
- Tug on the belt real quick towards the steering wheel
- Corner sharply (when the back steps out)

Found out the last one when i took it on the race track, almost choked me.. :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:26 pm 

Thanks for the advice - tried the tugging real quick towards the steering wheel - wont lock - strange thing is that both belts are the same - if it was a fault , i wouldn't expect them both to be that way - will try the 40mph test as soon as I get the title and plates sorted - will let you know if I dissapear through the windshield or not!!!! (or maybe my wife will have too :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:31 pm 

britvette wrote:
will let you know if I dissapear through the windshield or not!!!! (or maybe my wife will have too :lol:

Way to funny... :lol: :lol:

Good luck in trying out the locks. :)

Iron82

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:47 pm 

Ok - thought I would update you all because I know you will have all been loosing sleep with worry - Tried out the 40mph throw the anchor out seatbelt test and I survived!! :mrgreen: Seat belts locked (so did front wheels) and I felt relatively safe - so much so , I had another go!!
Thanks to all who posted replies - Much appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:32 pm 

Congrates on having your seatbelts work. :D

Iron82

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:29 am 

Cool!!!

Now it sounds like it's time to either check your brakes, or replace your tires. You shouldn't have locked the fronts like that.
All the times I autoX'd mine I don't think I ever locked just the fronts, unless I was turning it hard, then the rear wanted to come around. So either your biased is off, (fluid is dirty, or air in the system). or your tires are old, hard and shot....

If none of the above is the problem, then it might be time to look at the suspension, worn shocks, or worn springs....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:54 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

britvette wrote:
Ok - thought I would update you all because I know you will have all been loosing sleep with worry - Tried out the 40mph throw the anchor out seatbelt test and I survived!! :mrgreen: Seat belts locked (so did front wheels) and I felt relatively safe - so much so , I had another go!!
Thanks to all who posted replies - Much appreciated

Phewww.. Glad you're still with us M8.. Would'a been a darn shame to have lost you (and the car, of course) that young.. :lol: :P