It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:51 am 
Forum Member
Forum Member

I emailed Steve about a week ago because I am one of the many on here that desperately need new hinges and asked him if he still had hinges for sale. This was his reply to me:

"Sorry, there are no more sets of hinges available. I would only consider making more if several sets were ordered together.

If you can get an order together for 6 sets @ $300 per set, I will make them."

-Quote from simpson36

The way I see it is, either pay $300 plus for new weather stripping on the back hatch or take the chance of breaking my stock hinges by bending them back into place, which only be a temp fix. If I screw up the stock hinges, they are almost irreplaceble, so I dont want to go that route.
I know $300 sounds like a lot but for those of us who would actually like to open our rear hatches, I'd say its worth it. You can get more details and info on these hinges from previous threads.
viewtopic.php?t=182&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
viewtopic.php?p=1110&highlight=#1110

But I know from reading these previous threads that this is a big project for him and he was upset in the past when members on here said they wanted them but then dropped out because of price. So PLEASE only serious commitments here.

There is also a member on here by the name of Pete...something who is selling perfect match struts for the hatch also. I bought a set off him on ebay for $100 which I thought was a good price. So, if I can get him to sell some more struts to us then we should all be good to go with our rear hatches.

Once we have a firm list of atleast six we can arrange it so that the money can be PayPal to him and he can get started.

List for new hinges from Simpson36:

1. K9 Vette (Brian)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:17 am 

K9,

About the first of August I sent Steve an e-mail expressing an interest in a set hinges. I told Steve I wanted a solution to the problem, not a bargin.

After several e-mails, he agreed to sell the prototype set he had used originally. I received them as promised, the craftmanship and attention to detail is impressive. Steve was very helpfull and provided me with detailed step by step installation instructions.

I had planned on installing them once the weather turned, but got the bug and did it yesterday. It took about 2 hours to install the new hinges, and a set of struts from CorvettePete in Napa. The final result was perfect. Pull the latch and the hatch rises to the fully extended postion in a smooth fashion. The best part is, that it's fixed once and for all.

I hope you are succesful in putting a group of buyers together. For anyone that's interested you'll not be disappointed. In my opppion, the hinges Steve produced represent a good value, it's a quallity product at a fair price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:20 pm 
Forum Member
Forum Member

Thanks for the post hopefully that will help convince others to buy. I have my new struts just sitting here waiting to be mounted. :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:11 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

I've got a question for simpson36: What did it cost you to make your "prototype" hinges, $0-$150-$300 or what? Granted, you didn't have "hard cost figures", as a result, the estimated $150 cost. As I read in the forum, a good percentage of members were in favor, at $150. I don't know whether you work with a CNC at your job or you have one in your garage, I don't know.
I am assuming you have a CAD drawing (that takes a while); that info is programmed into the CNC, put the billet alluminum in and go have a coke. If this whole thing were labor intensive, I might could understand the $300, but your fingersare doing the walking, correct?
Irregardless, your "start-up" costs are immaterial to us/me; you recoup those by selling "multiple sets", capich?
I thought the final cost would be $150-200, but $300? That's the wrong way to do business. Unless the cost falls AT $150 per set, I'll deal with my originals.
Bigdaddy :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:28 pm 

I'm in a debat with my lady on this hot subject and that I would like to have spares. But, the problem is yes $300usd is a lot and $150/200usd are a very good price for the hinges.

We would be in for the $150/200usd range. The $300usd range is hard to talk about. We'll keep this on our lists. Lot of days to see how this turns out. :|

NCM Lifetime Member #1353
Iron82

Post subject: 82collector
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:06 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

sprinter wrote:
K9,

About the first of August I sent Steve an e-mail expressing an interest in a set hinges. I told Steve I wanted a solution to the problem, not a bargin.

After several e-mails, he agreed to sell the prototype set he had used originally. I received them as promised, the craftmanship and attention to detail is impressive. Steve was very helpfull and provided me with detailed step by step installation instructions.

I had planned on installing them once the weather turned, but got the bug and did it yesterday. It took about 2 hours to install the new hinges, and a set of struts from CorvettePete in Napa. The final result was perfect. Pull the latch and the hatch rises to the fully extended postion in a smooth fashion. The best part is, that it's fixed once and for all.

I hope you are succesful in putting a group of buyers together. For anyone that's interested you'll not be disappointed. In my opppion, the hinges Steve produced represent a good value, it's a quallity product at a fair price.

I am in desperate need of hinges and struts.will paypal you money immediately please advise

Steve F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:15 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

The purpose of this post is to close out the offer. All 6 sets are taken.

K9 and Warrior, check back on the Covette forum. You're both in.

A comment before I go; I haven't been on here in a long time. I followed the link from the Corvette Forum and I see I'm still being accused in this forum of gouging the members.

For the record, there is no CNC. Anyone who actually read the original discussions would know that. They woudl also know that the $150 price was for a CNC job shop to make FIFTY sets from STEEL. I have no affiliation with that shop. $150 was not MY price ever.

Bigdaddy; the 'wrong way to do business' is to get a price for 50 sets and then only order only a few sets and expect the same price. That's the way this forum does business, not me. Have fun dealing with your originals.

Also for the record, the last two sets went to guys who both said they didn't care WHAT I charged them. If I were inclined to gouge my fellow Vette owners, I would have bumped the price on the last two remaining sets. Everybody paid the same . . $300

BTW, These new buyers also said they didn't care about cost. They are still paying $300

Anyone who thinks $300 is 'rediculous' . . fine, you don't have to buy them. But that's no reason to post insults.

Bye Bye, CE Registry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:35 pm 

Steve,

I just sent you an email through the Corvetteforum. I hope you'll be able to help me out. $300 is no problem.

Ryan

Post subject: 82collector
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:18 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

I have answered your e-mail I hope.

I want a set I am ready to pay you for them this is Warrior2291 I have sent you my e-mail address and my phone numbers ......

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:47 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

To All Current Members:
I would like to issue my sincere apology to all concerning my "blast" of simpson36. Although I'm still not in total agreement with his reply, I am sorry for the way I handled it.
As you all can see, I have no reserve about speaking my mind, no matter what the subject, and don't care how it is perceived by the object of which I am lambasting. You either like it or not...
If I feel that something is not on the up-and-up, well...you see what happens.
I spoke as if I was the forum's spokesman and that was completely wrong of me.
If the current members prefer that I withdraw my membership, I understand completely and will do so immediately.
P;ease advise me on your decisions.

Robert (Bigdaddy) :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:59 am 

No need to leave Robert. It didn't sound like a personal attack, just airing out your questions and opnions....

Since I don't own my CE anymore I don't have allot to say here, but I'm still pretty bitter over this ordeal, just because I questioned Steve's price increase the very first time he posted it, then Marck (twinturbo) jumped in and said his price was out of line. Steve decided to completely ignore me...

I sent him several emails requesting a set of his hinges at the posted price of $300, but he choose to completely disregard my requests. I even tried to suggest a way to recoup his cost by contacting the major parts suppliers to sell in bulk like the guy that came up with the original hub cap molds...

Having met Steve only once, and having him to my house to discuss CE's, I was completely flabbergasted at his actions. So much for camaraderie among fellow owners!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:45 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Dawg-
It seems that you pretty much understand where I was coming from on this issue
I hope I was not the reason for his ignoring your request for a set. Honestly, I kinda expected his reaction to "withdraw the offer".

I really appreciate the the positive feedback and don't disappear completely from the forum as I really value yours and the others knowledge of the CE's.

I meant to tell the group of another CE in my hometown.

I was on my way home and was passing a long established body shop near my home and there sitting out front: a brand-new looking CE. The owners were picking it up after left-front damage repair, for the 2nd time!

The wife is the owner since it was given to her new for graduating high school!
Mileage is in the 20,000 range & looks showroom new, still wearing the original tires! She has really taken care of it (the 2 accidents were not her fault). This time the car was stripped to the 'glass and redone perfectly....beautiful.

I've got to find time to work on mine and the gummed-up injectors. I purchased an original rear unit on ebay for $35, so now for the front squirter. And since it's been a year since I've touched it, the fuel line is probably clogged now......what's the best fuel line clean-out procedure?

Oh well,

Largefather, sorry......... Bigdaddy!