It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Stripe Color
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:17 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

DESERTDAWG- Were you the one that painted your stripes on your CE?

If yes, could you provide info, such as: how much Bronze paint is needed; how much Silver/Beige is needed; @ how far did you spray until you added a S/B drop(s) to lighten?

Thanks
Bigdaddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:47 am 

I do believe Dawg did his painted but had a paintman do the painting for him. It's very 8)

NCM Lifetime Member #1353
Iron82

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:00 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

BigDaddy:
My side stripes (on the doors and forward) are painted also, but it was done before my time. If you need/want, i can take pics for a painter to check out.. I dont have the hood one..

Aeh, we are talking stripes, not the pin stripes, right ?

:wave
-Stefan

Post subject: Stripe Color
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:01 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Stefan - Yeah, I'm referring to the 3 fade stripes. I may just go ahead and do them myself. If I do, I'll document the steps and pass them on. I discovered that there is another CE in my town, just recently redone on the outside. Its lady-owned since new and it is beautiful! I saw it as she was picking it up at the body shop. I'll use pics of her CE's stripes for reference.

Oh yeah, all of my pics of my interior resto/dye work are gone. If you want, I'll retake pics of the results & provide step-by-step instructions and send them to you if you want.

Let me know...
Bigdaddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:03 am 

Welcome back...

Mine are painted on, but the painter chose the wrong shades.
Steve (supersteve) did it himself, and he did a beautiful job too. I'll email him this thread to get him in here with all of his info...

If needed, I can also post pics of mine, but the fades are not in the correct position as well as the colors being off...
Dwayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:43 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Hey Guys, I did paint my faded emblems on myself. After much trial and error, I finally found out the way to do it. DO NOT try and fade by pulling the gun away from the car and merely "fogging it" to fade the paint. All that does is to get rid of the small droplets of paint and leave you with larger droplets which look like crap up close and you can see blobs of fade from a distance. Instead, here's how you do it. Start from the BACK of the fade, in other words, start from the silver beige end of the fade after you have masked it off. Put 1/3 hopper of paint in, and add just 2-3drops of the brown metallic, mix it up and spray only about 2-3inches of the fade. Then put a couple more drops of brown in, and then do another couple of inches(be sure and do both sides). Keep making the mixture stronger until you get close to the line on the front of the doors. By then, you need to be nearly fulll strength metallic brown(somebody here has the paint code for the metallic brown). then of course go full strength metallic brown from the door line to the vent opening. Don't forget to spray your side grilles, and even the front grilles and the bottom valences(and screw heads stuck in foam). then clear the whole thing when you clear the car. Keep in mind that paint has a "window" of time that you have to get these faded stripes on before it is too late to apply the clearcoat over the whole car. Your paint store will give you all the windows. Now another tip is to get some wax paper and tape it on your car before you take off the factory stripes and then use an old pencil to rub the pattern off your stock pinstripes before you remove them. Then you can take these templates to your local detail shop where they should be able to scan them in and then cut them out using a computer program out of Bulk stock 3M metallic brown adhesive striping. My local shop did enough pinstripe for almost 2 cars for 180bucks. 3M makes bulk dark metallic brown that is perfect to match the side fades. Yes, it was metallic brown from the factory, not black, look very closely and you will agree.
I cleared over all the pinstripes too at the same time as the faded emblems, so when I wet sanded and buffed the car, you can't feel any ridges anywhere.(much easier to wax). I know purists will say that shows will take off for this. I have a track record of wins at over 95% of every car show I have ever entered and I have NEVER had a judge look to see if something is factory. They don't know! All they want is perfection, no matter how you do it.
I'll email some pictures to Dawg so he can post them for you.
or email me direct at s_burges@hotmail.com and I'll send you lots of pictures. I'm always willing to help in any way I can.
Steve Burges

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:04 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Oh I forgot to tell you this also...
The color I chose was from a 2003 Dodge Dakota pickup. It is a silver beige that is almost identical to the 82 collector, but just a tad bit more gold. I bet the only way you would know was if you had 2 collectors parked side by side. You would just think that mine had a bit more warmer tone.
I had 2 reasons for this.
1. The paint was available from Dodge dealerships in a spray can
and touch up paint brush version.
2. Every time I printed pictures of my car, I always found myself
tinting it a warmer color so it wasn't just silver.

So my secret is out...
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:33 am 

Great info Steve, thanks for adding it to the forum....

I still slober over your chromed rims... maybe one day I can get around to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:09 am 

I read on the vault that the bronze color is Dupont D-8262 but I have not checked for myself.If you check this could you verify for us? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:29 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Desertdawg wrote:
Great info Steve, thanks for adding it to the forum....

I still slober over your chromed rims... maybe one day I can get around to it.

Great info.. My stripes are a bit darker, more on the dark brown variety and it has kind of an outside rim to it. Ah well. My car.. :roll: :lol:

I cant get over the hood on the first pic.. Woooowheee.. That is so 8) . I think we need a couple of close up's on Steve's car (rims for Dawg, hood (and under) for me).. :DROOOOOL:

Brent:
Welcome to the Registry. I'm pretty sure someone will come around in due time and confirm the numbers for you..

:wave
-Stefan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:51 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

That is the correct color code for the brown. And if you put a J at the end of the number you get the interior color as well.But it has a elastic additive put in for the plastic parts. Stephen :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:38 am 

I already have some good pics of Steve's rims....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:48 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

rims rims.. :lol:

I wanna see that hood.. :shock: 8)

Post subject: 82collector
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:17 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

where did you get your RIMS DONE THEY ARE GREAT!!!!!! AND I REALLY LOVE THAT HOOD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:22 pm 

Hi , I am new to the list and picked up on this thread with interest as I plan in the future to do the paint on my newly aquired CE. I had also thought about getting the decals and stripes painted on under the clear. The job Steve has done looks fantastic . If I can get mine done to look half a good , I would be very happy.
A few quick questions:-
Those of you that have said that you have or are going to do the paint yourselves - are you experienced Painters or is this seriously a job that could be attempted by anyone????
Also another thing I noticed on Steves car is that the Hood decal fades from front to back i.e dark at the front lighter towards the windshield. Mine goes the other way - is this wrong or are there different options?[/img]