It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:40 pm 

Not much chance I'm afraid, I will complete another handle but I will not be selling it. I may trade it for other interesting parts and pieces but not selling. I don't want to start anything other than what I have done, just a piece or two here and there. Just a way to keep the collector in good shape.

The front handle in the pic is the aluminium one and the back one is the original plastic one. I want to try and mount the alum one with threads to the cable end. You then would be hard pressed to tell it from the plastic one when it is mounted. If unsuccessful I will then mount it with a rolled pin through the round portion. So if I am forced to do that it will not be exactally like the original. And if you have pulled your handle off as I have you may try a pin thru the plastic as a repair, that could get you by for quite a while. I will know how difficult threading the cable end is by next weekend..........I may be in dream land :arrow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:17 pm 
Forum Member
Forum Member

Thats too bad you wont be selling them and too bad I dont have anything extra to trade you. Its a very nice looking piece though. Thanks for the info though I might just end up putting a pin through mine to make it work.

Post subject: Hatch handle
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:30 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

I didn't even know there was a handle for the hatch! Mine has a metal ring!
How did you make the alluminum copy? What "interesting part" is it that you need to swap for your other copy?

Bigdaddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:33 pm 

Since there is a little interest I pushed on and installed the aluminum handle tonite. It is very difficult to thread a square piece of stock (on the end of a cable) but can be done with extreme care. :shock:
And the thread mount is a success. Even a very strong pull doesn’t faze it at all. My hatch now works like a finely oiled watch, I am very happy with it. 8) I will paint the letters on the handle next week. (unless the laziness god gets here!) I would post a short .avi movie of the hatch opening so guys could see what action the struts give the glass and compare to their own. (if I knew how :cry: ) Maybe later

So weekend after next I will begin machining the hinges.

Guess I need to think about what I need to trade for, may take a minute if you know what I mean. :?

Lookingooood at this house…… :arrow: :arrow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:36 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

WOW.. I am impressed.. 8) 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:28 pm 

WOOOH THERE, easy boy. Don't get carried by the momentum!

I don't EVEN want to get anything going like the other "hot" post.
:wink:
(thanks)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:18 pm 

Great job on the handle. 8)

NCM Lifetime Member #1353
Iron82

Post subject: Hey gang
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:32 pm 
Forum Member
Forum Member

hing issues here too. Anyone know of where I can get a set of reliable hinges? I am will to purchase better than original ones if they are being manufactured but not sure who to contact or where to go.

I am trying to trace the release cable that pops the glass but the handle came off. This appears to be a common problem. Any help?

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:40 pm 

Well, sir if you will carefully remove the trim panel at the rear of the hatch opening (the back of which is shown in the picture I inserted back in this thread) you will see the cable in question. The latches are adjustable as are the hinges. (The latches are revealed by this panel.) With careful adjustment of both I solved the hatch thing temporarily. Long enough for me to get a set of hinges machined I hope. However the LAZY god has struck here so I’m a little behind. As to the handle I did make one as shown above and I think from some of the responses that the problem is common.
(One fella said he didn’t know he was supposed to have one….. :lol: )

Anyway as I said closer to the top of this thread you could pin the handle back on as a quick fix, or as the big spenders do, buy the cable.

Just go slowly as you remove the plastic panels and you should do fine, I hope that some adjustment will get you going too and you get to enjoy the only C3 with a hatch. 8) 8)

:arrow:

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:14 pm 
Forum Member
Forum Member

I have my original handle but it won't stay on. I will do as you say and see if I can remove those panels to view the cable underneath. I have a custom speaker set back there, so things are a bit tighter now. Hence the reason for getting the hatch fixed and then new weatherstipping so it doesn't leak.

If I could figure out how to actual put an image here I would show you what I have done. Most I can tell is I have to up load the image to another site and drop a URL here. I guess?

Thanks again and I hopt to get this project completed soon.

Jeff

Know of anyone making hinges?[/img]