It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hatch Help
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:59 pm 

Since motivation is on the rise at this house, I may actually work on my car this weekend, long weekend and all that. (Hope to install a part obtained from another member of the registry.) So a question arises. I have read all the horror stories about the hinges on the back glass and wonder if anyone has access to an actual print for these parts? I saw where another member made some so it can be done. I would make some if I had a pattern or the print. (NOT great gobs of them and NOT for profit) I suppose I could hunt a broken original or buy a used one ….

Anyway when the fever was high this evening I went out and raised the lid on the ol blondecollector. Took a couple of minutes to find the latch release (U LAFFIN AT ME!) and then it didn’t open. Hummm this ain’t good…..had to pry it out of the latch and when I got it open it only rises about 8-12 inches and the rubber gaskets where the hinges attach to the glass are broken on both sides and I had trouble just getting the pins back in the latch pockets to close it sooo….. perhaps the time has come (aforementioned long weekend) to improve the condition of my ride?

Any words of wisdom / inspiration??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:01 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

The guy that made the hinges name is steve.You could e-mail him and see if he still has the prihts that he used to make a pair for your car.I was lucky enough to buy a pair from him and they are beauftful and work great.He also modified some struts so the glass won't slam open.Browse the thread and get his e-mail because he don't come on here much anymore.I have tp go to work right now but if you have any ? Let me know.I'll check back tonight about 6:00 pm EST.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:57 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Sounds like the time has come indeed.. :)

When i did my hatch weather stripping, i adjusted the hinges back .5 inches with a vise. There is a thread for that one. If you decide to do that, take the shims out, where the hinges bolt to the "roof".
Mine was a PITA to get back in, the wife and i made 10 attempts to get it just right. It seems though it has already stretched a bit again, as it's rubbing in the latch pins (I have the previous Eckler struts, that slam the hatch open), but I havent opened it for a while.
I chose to bolt the hinges to the glas to put them on, which might not have been the best idea. I heard others bolt them to the car and then set the glass on it. Hindsight.. :wink:
If you got any questions, pls feel free to ask here and/or email any of us.

:wave
-Stefan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:46 am 

I have installed the module contributed by another forum member (THANK YOU SIR!) and Wa La! the courtesy lights work!!!. I now have a working courtesy light timer and all the lights light up!! :) I even had time to completely check out the alarm system and I got it working too. The module had come loose from the mounting (GM uses tape??) so it was a quick fix. (Since the wife cut my funds for the El Camino project, I seem to have time for ol blondey.)

Now I guess it’s on to the hinge / strut / latch debacle. I guess since it is the only C3 with a hatch, I should at least make some hinges and struts to get it working again. I’m thinking I will cut the ends off a set of like sized struts and make new ends exactly like the ones now on the car, I still want all the gismos to work as original including the alarm switch on the hatch cylinder.

Has anyone had GOOD luck with replacing the struts??

Bty Stefan, when you say (i adjusted the hinges back .5 inches with a vise) you mean you bent them closed ½ an inch and they didn’t break??? YIKES!! If they move like that no wonder they won’t hold the glass in position over time, perhaps there’re made of space age rubber?? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:05 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

blondecollector wrote:
snip...
Bty Stefan, when you say (i adjusted the hinges back .5 inches with a vise) you mean you bent them closed ½ an inch and they didn’t break??? YIKES!! If they move like that no wonder they won’t hold the glass in position over time, perhaps there’re made of space age rubber?? :lol:

Yep. Must be.. :lol:
Actually it's metal, but it's a bit on the weak side. And yes, i put it in a towel in a vise, and i almost had a heart attack when the whole thing came flying out at me (the towel slipped). :shock: :shock: :shock:
One of the days i wont soon forget: taking it apart was nervewrecking, then to put the only ones i have in a vise and squeezing the puddin's out of it.. :shock:
It can be done, but very slowly and very carefully.. And lather, rinse, REPEAT every X amount of years..

-Stefan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:26 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

The only sure way of doing this right is with the one Steve made.I have my originals but they too are sprung about 1/2",Seems to be the norm.Man I sure wish you were here a couple of monthes ago.The ones that steve made will NEVER spring.Like he said you could tow a car with them.Maybe if you sweet talk him......They are far and above superior than the GM ones.Everything lines up perfectly and yes they look better than GM.Mine opens up real nice and then the last couple of inches they SLOWLY rise up a little more.Needless to say I'm one happy camper. Let me know if you are interested in mine.Hell I might even give them to ya if you pay shipping. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:50 pm 

Well, since the fever is high right now I am going to try and pull one of the hinges off ol blondy this weekend and do some measuring. We will see........ :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:57 pm 

Hatch time at this location is getting better. I took the trim off and actually looked at the situation and some adjustment were all that was needed. Moved the driver's side hinge bracket forward about an 1/8 of an inch and adjusted the latch mechainisms to better center the latch pins and she shuts like a safe door!

The gas springs are another story. Does anyone know the exact collapsed "extend force" on the originals?? I have just begun to do the research but that is the first question I ran into. Mine are pretty weak but show a combined force of about 50 lbs. when collapsed. Only raise the hatch about 4-6 inches.

I'm gettin closer....... :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:06 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

I'm real happy you dont have to go bendin' the hinges.. 8)

My struts were like that when i replaced them with SLAM-DUNK new ones.. Watch out chin when they open (Everytime i do, i imagine a cartoon, lifting the back of the car an inch off the ground. :lol: ). Sorry no help from here. :(

-Stefan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:03 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Well how did things work out.I know it's only a short term fix but if you are care full when using them they might last a lot longer.It think the strut force is key to hinge life.I've heard that too strong of a strut and just having it in the closed position will put undo stress on the hinge.So get a good strut, have someone in back when you open the hatch to make sure it don't slam open.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:59 pm 

Well, just so you know that I didn’t fall in a hole, I am still moving toward a solution to the hatch problem. BBUUTT last week I wanted to take a check measurement on the hinges and when I pulled the handle to open the hatch it came off in my hand. AhUuuhhh….. :shock: :shock: :oops:

So I have modeled it and I will make it first before I make any hinges. ViseGrips are NOT the preferred handle. Now I just need to find the time to get the machining done. :(

I did get the strut problem solved in my case however, by putting a set of struts from a ‘96’ on my car. I pulled one off the other collector and tried it out first. It worked fine with the proper open sequence, fast at first and then decelerates about 8” from open and a cushioned stop. Good enough for me! Alas it couldn’t be that easy. When I put the trim plate back in place the struts contacted it before the glass fully closes. But since my car will not be a Gold Spinner winner anytime soon, I modified the trim plate slightly, painted it and PRESTO! $59 aftermarket struts and it works perfectly. Doesn’t jerk the back of the car off the ground when the hatch opens or anything!! 8) The struts are made by the same company that made the originals too. (Different ownership but same Co) The relief needed is in the pic below.... :)

Anyway progress is progress, and so it goes at this house………. :arrow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:37 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Sounds good to me.. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:08 am 
Forum Member
Forum Member

If your still interested this might be a solution for you, check my post buying hinges:

viewtopic.php?t=252

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:16 pm 

Actually I am in the process of building a set of hinges for my car at present. I realize not everyone can just "build" a set but that is the case here. Also I want a set that a judge would have to stop and really scope on to know they weren't factory. Not that I am trying to fool anyone, nor will I build any for someone who is trying to get a car judged. I just want them to look original. I have almost completed the hatch handle (needs the letters painted) and will install it next weekend. Then I will finish the hinges. I'll post the results later.....

So thanks for the note, that what keeps this thing going. :D

:arrow: :arrow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:56 pm 
Forum Member
Forum Member

Those look nice! Is there any chance you will be selling handles? I could use another, mine came right off when I tried to pull it open.