Post subject: Crossfire question
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

82collectorshark

USA
12 Posts
Posted - 07/29/2004 : 22:44:58
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been slowly restoring my 82,and been doing a lot of labor intensive repairs to save money while the kids are in college.Everything is going nicely,especially with advice from the forums.I start the engine 2-3 times a month and operate all the systems possible and run it up to operating temp often, while it sits on jackstands.The last couple of starts however I noticed a "ticking" from the engine.Now I've been a mechanic just a little bit longer than dirt has been around(kidding)and the noise almost sounded like a
lifter tap but not quite.After I removed the air cleaner it was apparent that the noise was from the TB's.It's almost as if the injectors are sputtering in a rythmic pattern that mimics a lifter tapping.The fuel has been in the tank for about 6 months but has been treated with Stabil, and dry gas, and is high test.There is no noticible change in engine performance,but remember,it is only running on jackstands.I call now upon the great minds in the forum to advise me before I start troubleshooting.
Many thanks in advance,
Jules

Desertdawg

10 Posts
Posted - 07/31/2004 : 21:47:04
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jules,
What you are hearing, and seeing, is completely normal.
The Throttle Bodies are opening and closing the solenoids to fire a fuel charge into the intake manifold. And yes it has fooled many a trained mechanic into thinking something was wrong inside the motor.

Keep us posted on your progress.

And if you ever need any crossfire help, go to the CFI forum.
http://www.crossfire.homeip.net:81/
Dwayne

82collectorshark

USA
12 Posts
Posted - 08/02/2004 : 16:42:14

Thanks Dwayne,
I had a notion it might be normal because the performance is good.I had better do some studies into the crossfire system (especially so I can understand what some of the guys like you and twin-turbo are talking about).I was following a thread on the crossfire forum, in which TT was helping a fellow forum member, while the member was on the phone with the mechanic at the shop where the vette was being diagnosed.The tech talk got hot and heavy for a while and I could barely follow what was going on but it got me interested in how it is engineered.In the meantime I know I can count on the super people in this forum for advice.
Thanks again Dwayne, Jules

82collectorshark

USA
12 Posts
Posted - 08/02/2004 : 16:43:39

P.S. Dwayne how was the trip to the mountains? Did you take the vette?
Jules

Desertdawg

10 Posts
Posted - 08/02/2004 : 23:43:46

We had a blast, 40's at night, 70's during the day. And the rainbows while small were still fun to pull in.

I have a 93 crew-cab dually and 30 foot fifth wheel RV, we park it at 9500 foot altitude(compared to 735 ft. here at Gila).
It's almost "roughing it", we do have running water, but rely on a couple of solar panels to keep the batteries up for the week.

But the biggest plus is "No Phones"!!!
Being on call 24/7 can have it's downside
Coming home to 112 degree days really stinks too.

The guys on the CFI forum are really a great bunch to get help from, jump in if you have anything you need cleared up.

82collectorshark

USA
12 Posts
Posted - 08/03/2004 : 16:14:34

Glad you cooled off some and had a good time.Sounds like a real nice rig for roughing it.
Jules