All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Misc Problems/Send Help!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:10 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

luvmy82

2 Posts
Posted - 08/20/2004 : 08:04:54
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been trying with no success, to get my mits on an assembly manual. Every place that I have called says that they have to get a minimum of 5-8 requests before they would print one up. This won't do. Would anyone be kind enough to loan me theirs so I can copy it? I promise I'll take real good care of it and returned it to you the next day.

I'm also having the dreaded "hatch not lining up" problem. Per Steve Ridner, I went in to see if the bolts to the hinge were torqued tight and they were. It's really pizzing me off that my hatch won't open. I installed new pistons (thinking this might be the problem) that I purchased for $200 from Mid America. I think that they have way too much pressure because the hatch doesn't stop mid way and then you open it up the rest of the way yourself. The hatch just shoots straight up! I wish I had my old pistons back! Will my hatch glass shatter from that much pressure being exerted by the new pistons? What do I do? How do I decrease the pressure?

Dawg, Steve, Twin Turbo.....Help!

82coled

3 Posts
Posted - 08/20/2004 : 12:12:27
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suzanne,
I have an Assembly Manual, do you just want me to copy a few pages and fax them over ? Rather then sending the chunky thing ?
I'll go through my receipt for the manual and let you know where i got it, they didnt make a fuss at all. One order, shipped 5 business days afterwards..

With the new pistons:
I got new ones in and yes, they take the hatch ALL the way up. I kinda like it that way, i just have to remember to get my fat head out of the way in time. Almosy knocked myself on the chin once.

The hatch not lining up: You should probaly play with the hatch arms (the ones that are bolted in the 'ceiling'). See if you can move them towards the front a bit. If you havent already.. It took me (and the wife) HOURS to line them up just so before it would go in (And now they only go in just about and close only with me pushing the pins in). We had to take out most of the shims under the bolts before my hatch would go back on the car.
Also: I compressed my hinges .5 inches in a vise (VERY slowly, half a turn once a minute!!) before it would line up again. They do seem to extend to the back after so many years and compressing them again is a temporary fix (for a couple of years, i hope, i almost had a heartattack compressing them), while the members of the board are researching getting new hinges made to spec.
Oh: and no there is no way you can release the pressure. It's a gasfilled shock (most likely!), that shouldnt be tampered with. It might go kaboom on you! It will weaken over time, say 3 years.

Stefan
:wave!!

Edited by - 82coled on 08/20/2004 12:22:17

luvmy82

2 Posts
Posted - 08/20/2004 : 13:08:11

Stefan: I really need the entire manual. I will pay for postage both ways. I promise to keep very good care of it! Can you help me?

I'm installing new seats in a few weeks and I need to see the setup of the pins that hold them in place. Not only that, it is helpful if you have the entire manual when something else inevitably goes wrong. I tried taking the seats out with my bare hands and I skinned my hands... oucheee!

Thanks!

Stephen Ridner

3 Posts
Posted - 08/21/2004 : 05:40:46

Send me your address and I will mail you mine so you can copy it. I will help you on the hatch issues but need a week or so to get some things caught up. Where are you getting you seats from? Stephen

82coled

3 Posts
Posted - 08/21/2004 : 06:27:00

Here is where i got mine from:
http://www.gregsonline.com/eshop/Corvette/7250.htm

I didnt have a problem with quantity at all.
Try that, and if that doesnt work out, either myself or Stephen can send one of ours for copying..

Let us know..
Stefan

RayCE

USA
1 Posts
Posted - 08/23/2004 : 07:44:55

Check Ebay. Its usually on Ebay for around $25.00
Good Luck

Item # on Ebay 7917011501
Do a search with this #, It is what you are looking for.

Edited by - RayCE on 08/23/2004 07:56:51

the 82

USA
3 Posts
Posted - 08/24/2004 : 07:17:56

Call Mid America, they have them listed for sale in their catalogue. If they do not have it, try the NCRS website I think it is .org.

Good luck,

JohnnyB

82collectorshark

USA
12 Posts
Posted - 08/26/2004 : 17:28:17

I got mine on E-Bay also with no problem.Search in e-bay motors and enter "1982 corvette" and specify "parts"or "manuals".You might have to wait a few days for one to pop up but they always do.
Jules