It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What's going on.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:51 am 
Hard to believe the forum is so quiet, no one is working on their cars, driving their the car, etc. Few discussions or tech questions. I've been trying to get mine out often to prevent it from getting old and worn. Even though it's not in the best shape, it still gets alot of looks, people like the old look.........Anyone in the St. Louis area want to see if we can find a cruise that we can all meet at? Might be kind of interesting to see a group of CE's. I've got to take an emissions test on it in Aug, hope it goes well...........Any good thoughts on things that might help insue it passing. Any thoughts on if premium or regular gas will make any difference?

Post subject: Quiet
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:12 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Its hot outside!! that could be one reason. My wife drives her C.E. everyday so she keeps it lubed up and running well. Hard to believe people now a days see 1982's as being older, I still cant get that through my thick head that a 23 year old car is older, but it is. I have this brainlock that only C-2's & C-1's are older. We are lucky here in Fl. that we don't have to deal with all that emmissions stuff. Good luck on passing the test!!!

Post subject: Re: What's going on.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:30 pm 

glasscar wrote:
I've got to take an emissions test on it in Aug, hope it goes well...........Any good thoughts on things that might help insue it passing. Any thoughts on if premium or regular gas will make any difference?

I would just do the regular maintance. Here's what I do on mine. Which is replace oil filter and oil( every 7K miles), air cleaners(every 30K miles), tyre rotation(7K miles)with equal air pressure on all fours(I use 32psi), tune-up (1 year)which includes new spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and PCV valve and mostly check your Drive Belts(15K-if needed but up to 30K).

On your gas. I use 89 octane. I hear sounds from 87 octane when I did my evaluation on ocatne differances. But anything over will not hurt unless you are in money wise.

macguyver wrote:
We are lucky here in Fl. that we don't have to deal with all that emmissions stuff.

Same in Maryland when registered on a historic plates. Anything else is prone to emissions. :cry:

GOOD LUCK in your passing emissions. :D

NCM Lifetime Member #1353
Iron82

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:52 am 

This is why I started the "chirp chirp chirp" thread. so we can just BS about stuff.... Oh well I guess theres 2 BS threads now! :D

Mac, it's good to hear my wife isn't the only one driving the CE daily, granted my wife only has about 3 miles to go to get to work...

Whenever the "old" issue comes up, I like to think that none of these corvettes where intended to be on the road 20 or 30 years later. Pretty amazing when you think of how good most of them look... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:15 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

How long can a plastic car last? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:04 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

:lol: Chicken said 'Plastic'.. :lol:

93 octane here, mine did rattle like a kids toy with 87 and it was still there, though less on 89.. Guess i spoiled her running on 98 in Germany.. I also thought it didnt have as much ooompf on lesser octane, might just be me though... For the few times i get to drive her, it's not worht mucking with..

23 years, Dawg, can you imagine what other cars look like after that ?? Little, heavy, boxy.. Ie. compressed in a salvage yard for metal..

:wave
-Stefan

Post subject: Emissions Testing?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:12 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Howdy everyone-
We've just began emissions testing here in western NC. Only '95 or newer have to be checked, '75-'94 are visually checked to see if cats are in place. I'm going to remove my catalytic converter, cut the top out, remove the insides and weld it back together. The welded area won't be seen during the visual check and the Vette will breathe much better. Sneaky, huh?

Later-
Bigdaddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:53 am 

No need to cut it open, just unbolt it and turn it on end over a trash can. Then with a long pipe of steel bar, bang away at the honeycomb inside until it crumbles and falls out the other end...

Be sure to get it all in the garbage, and not all over the place, it's not the greatest stuff to leave lying around...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:40 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Desertdawg wrote:
No need to cut it open, just unbolt it and turn it on end over a trash can. Then with a long pipe of steel bar, bang away at the honeycomb inside until it crumbles and falls out the other end...

Be sure to get it all in the garbage, and not all over the place, it's not the greatest stuff to leave lying around...

Either that, or for legal reasons get a low restrictive cat. Sorry, I'm just a rule follower.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:34 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Same here, i still run the original style(s) with no problems, even if they'll restrict power, Chicken.. I was told about newer box type cat's (if i recall that right) would give me a bit more HP/Torque, but i am afraid if i do that and move back home, the German TUeV (state inspection, but REALLLY picky) would figure it out and deny me the tax break for Cat-Cars.. So, the original style it is.. Unless someone has done that and they are 100% equal to the original style..

We dont get emissions checked here in PA under 5k miles a year anyway.. They might be dead for all i know.. :shock:

:wave
-Stefan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:03 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Stefan, I have a high flow cat on my '86 and it seems to make the TPI have even more low end torque. As far as looks go, I can't tell the difference between this one and the original. I don't know what you mean by "box cat", but mine looks like a direct replacement. 8)

Post subject: hy flo cat
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:54 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Mr. chicken- could you help me out on the hy flo cat as far as who makes it- where to buy it , also is this a bolt in mod or is there any welding involved? Thanks!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:06 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

I just checked on ZIP for Cats.. Is this what you put under your car ?
http://www.zip-products.com/Zip/product ... 1978E91992

I actually dont remember what the 82 cat looks like, but for $170, that doesnt sound too bad.. Again, IF it is an exact replacement.. I know for the US i wouldnt worry about it and just bolt it in, but the guys at the TUeV are picky.. For instance, at the time we werent allowed to run the side markers and i had removed the bulbs to pass.. Nope, i had to put on blacked glass to cover it.. PICKY !!

Maybe 'box cat' was just a lingo from the mechanic i talked to at the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:34 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

That one from ZIP Products looks like a direct bolt-on piece. Mine was a weld on piece that I bought at a local muffler shop. But they welded it to my old flanges so it could be bolted in place. I think they only charged me around $150 to install it. I don't recall seeing a brand name on the box though. Again, this was on my '86 and I haven't looked at the '82 to see if it is a bolt-on piece. Hopefully it is. The high flow cat is money well spent if you have to retain the emissions equipment. You might try checking with your local shop to see if they have them in stock. I think mine was just a generic cat. That's why it was a weld-on piece. Good luck.

Post subject: What's up
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:55 am 
Passed the emissions test yesterday. Drove the car for about an hour and put in fresh gas, just incase. Has almost 92,000. Now thats its cooler, hope to drive it more........