It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Two Straps in Hatchback
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:48 am 
Active Forum Member
Active Forum Member

I am a new vette owner. I have two straps in the hatchback of my 82 collectors edition that I don't know what they were used for. One is behind the drivers seat above the hatch release knob and the other is on the other one is on the opposite side. Can someone help me identify these?

thanks

Post subject: T-Top Straps
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:05 am 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

I believe you are describing the staps that hold down the T- Tops when removed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:25 am 
Active Forum Member
Active Forum Member

This may be so but the straps are only about 6" long and my Vette has a T-top holder on the back. I am new to all of this, does the tops (in the bags) snap onto the sides or how do they work? I am still confused about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:08 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

It sounds like the T-Top strap, like MacGuyver said. It's supposed to be a Y-shaped part, hooked left and right into the back compartment (under the carpet), and hooking onto a hook behind the brake cover/armrest. It's supposed to hold down the tops if you store them behind the seats. I actually bought one from S. Ridner (he had a spare), as mine didnt have the front part (quite common to break off).. I can take a pic of what mine looks like, if you want and post it..
Let me know.

:wave

-Stefan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:43 pm 
Active Forum Member
Active Forum Member

Thanks for the help. I did not have a clue what they were. I must be missing the actual strap but I am not too worried about it. If I find the straps that someone is selling, then I might be interested. I mainly wanted to know what they were for.

thank you for all the help.
I am still learning about Vettes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:41 am 

I think you might be right about the little straps on the sides, and snapping them to the T Top bags...

What Stephen, and Mac are talking about is the long strap that is connected to the rear corners of the storage compartment, and is designed to be stretched over the T Tops and fastened to a small bracket right behind the arm rest.

But from your description, it sounds like you have something different, can you get a picture of them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:51 am 
Active Forum Member
Active Forum Member

I can take a picture but it will be tomorrow. I don't use the car as a daily driver. I will take a picture as soon as possible and send it in. Hopefully I can figure out how to send a picture.

Post subject: straps
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:48 am 

Hi 82 Vette CE,
I think the straps that you are describing were originally intended to secure a pouch that held the rear mounted T-top carrier parts. My CE has the T-top carrier and there are two short (approx 6-8 inch) straps hanging down onto the right rear wheel well carpeting. My car did not have the pouch when I bought it, but some of the other guys on this site have seen them. Not too many 82 Vettes had the rear T-top carrier, so I have little hope of finding a pouch.
Enjoy your CE!
Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:05 am 
Active Forum Member
Active Forum Member

That is what the straps sound like. I am also missing the pouches but at least I know what the straps were used for. I was told, when I bought the car in March 05, that the car originally had a T-top rack on the nack but it was removed to make it look sportier. I can see the poor glass work where the rack bolted in (looks like 4 mounts). Thats for your patience.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:55 am 

Yes, I wish my car didn't have that option. There are four black plastic mounting points on the back of the car. No big deal, but I prefer the look without. Also, my car has the Gymnkana suspension (rides like a truck) I could live without that also!
Good luck,
Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:28 am 
Active Forum Member
Active Forum Member

I was currious about that suspension package. Mine does not have it. I do not have a build sheet for this car but according to a previous owner, he had a appraisal from Corvette Club of America and this car has the following options. I know what they all are but I am not too sure about the heavy duty cooling option.

AG9 Power Drivers Seat
CC1 Removable Glass Roof Panels
DG7 Electric Sport Mirrors
D84 Two-Tone Exterior Paint
K35 Cruise Control
U58 AM/FM Sterio Radio
U75 Power Antenna
V08 Heavy Duty Cooling

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:34 pm 

The option code for Gymnkana suspention was FE7, be glad you don't have it. I have my window sticker, so I know what was optioned on my car. I understand that you can get some documentation from GM about your car showing what was on the car when it was built.
Regards,
Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:47 pm 
Active Forum Member
Active Forum Member

Yea, I have thought about it and I will probably do that after a few other little items I want to do with the car first.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: straps
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:34 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Tom wrote:
Hi 82 Vette CE,
I think the straps that you are describing were originally intended to secure a pouch that held the rear mounted T-top carrier parts. My CE has the T-top carrier and there are two short (approx 6-8 inch) straps hanging down onto the right rear wheel well carpeting. My car did not have the pouch when I bought it, but some of the other guys on this site have seen them. Not too many 82 Vettes had the rear T-top carrier, so I have little hope of finding a pouch.
Enjoy your CE!
Tom

:o

Good one Tom !!
I didnt even think of the straps for the carrier parts. Do you know how many CE's with the carrier actually were made ? I have only seen one at Carlisle 2 years ago. And thanks for the description of the FE7: I was always under the impression it made the car ride better.. Good to know (I dont have it).. All good info.. 8)

-Stefan

Post subject: Re: straps
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:38 pm 
Veteran Forum Member
Veteran Forum Member

Tom wrote:
The option code for Gymnkana suspention was FE7, be glad you don't have it. I have my window sticker, so I know what was optioned on my car. I understand that you can get some documentation from GM about your car showing what was on the car when it was built.
Regards,
Tom

I put up a thread on the Dealer Invoice (I had attempted to get the Window Sticker from BG, KY. but my VIN# is not part of their records kept..) here: viewtopic.php?t=101
They now charge for the service, but i can only recommend it. It lists all options the car came with, as i am not about to go after the tank sheet (Yet!)..

-Stefan